Hi all, new to Finches

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
FinchGrinch
Nestling
Nestling

Hi all, new to Finches

Post by FinchGrinch » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:52 pm

Ive recently acquired 4 Society Finches and have them in a nice large cage. Ive been doing a lot of reading about keeping finches, when I came upon this forum. Im looking forward to learning even more about these wonderful little birds. My wife has kept Budgies for quite some time and I have always been fond of finches. I love how the Society finches all bunch together and seem to enjoy one another. Based on behavior it appears that I have two males and two females.

John
John

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Hi all, new to Finches

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:37 am

FinchGrinch

If you want to keep it down to 2 males and 2 females, don't give them nests for heavens sakes, lol.

Welcome to the Forum by the way.
This is a great place for people to learn all about finching, so please feel free to ask any question that you might have.
There are quite a few members on here who have Society Finches so you're definitely not alone.

Socies, are some of the sweetest birds of the Finch world. They are friendly, social, laid back, relatively quiet, undemanding, easy to care for, and entertaining.

Their one draw back, is that they will breed and reproduce like bunny rabbits (hence the comment about the nests). Even without nests, your feathered kids will probably attempt to raise families in the seed cups, or even on the cage floor, lol.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy your birds.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:56 am

FinchGrinch

Welcome to the forum! =D> If you really want to keep the nest and not have babies, may I suggest you quickly find yourself some fake eggs to replace what will soon be real eggs in their little clown car nest. Elana is right, they will breed, and they will breed rapidly.

I have one pair of societies dutifully sitting on plastic eggs for almost two months now. I mark the fake eggs with a little Perma-Marker dot so I can tell if they lay anymore real eggs. If I remove the eggs they will breed again in like 60 seconds! :shock:

They aren't incredibly lively when they are "broody" or sitting on a clutch, but its very unhealthy for them to lay eggs constantly.

The clowncar nest is adorable, but as Elana said, the best way to stop laying is remove the nest. They are also most active and curious when they aren't alternating on eggs (either real or fake).

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:12 pm

I missed this thread earlier, so I wanted to add a belated welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles in finch care, including breeding (since your birds have made the decision for you by laying eggs!).
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Yaaaay! Congratulations on your birds and I'm glad you found/joined the forum. Everyone has been a real help to me over the years. Enjoy!!
30+ Gouldians
1 Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

ellen7
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ellen7 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi and welcome! I'm new here too and have gotten great advice already :)

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:51 pm

Big hello! You picked the most lovable of all finches to start out with. Even after years of raising many different species of finches, I always have societies in the mix. They are the "neighborhood sweethearts" of all the finches and get along so well with most species.

As mentioned, they LOVE to lay and raise babies so be prepared. Take the nest out of replace their eggs with plastic ones. You can find them on line for cheap. Good luck and post photos when you can!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!