should I try again?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

should I try again?

Post by Tish » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:09 am

I have 2 males and 2 females in one cage and in another cage I have 1 male and 1 female all society finches. I once before tried to put them all in one flight cage, and it didn't work out. Maybe I did it wrong but the 2 males bugged the 1 male and I separated them for almost 2 months now. I was wondering if after the new years if I should retry again? Maybe clean the cage out and redecorate it? Do you think it could work or will I be causing stress? Two flight cages has become to much for me to look after, I don't know what else I can do.
Attachments
20160807_115020.jpg
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Re: should I try again?

Post by isobea » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:22 pm

Tish - I would give it another try. I would do exactly what you are already considering: change EVERYTHING in that flight - different perches, placement of perches, different location of food dishes, additional food dishes, nests (?), greenery inside the flight, hiding places, maybe even put the flight itself in a different room or different area of the same room (even if it's just temporary).
Good luck.
Iso

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:28 pm

I have the same cage for my societies!

I, personally, would put them together. They will work it out after a few days. Maybe it would help to move perches, feeding stations, water, etc. so that the ones that are already in the cage don't think there are invaders in their territory. Do you have a spare cage? You might want to try moving the birds out of the cage for a few days and introducing them all at the same time. ??
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:00 pm

Tish

Personally, I would take one of the bully boys, and put him in with the underdog for a while. Let them get used to each other for a week or so. Then I would buy another female and put her in with these two for a couple of days. Then I would take all three, and return them to the flight.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:57 pm

Shannylee wrote: I have the same cage for my societies!

I, personally, would put them together. They will work it out after a few days. Maybe it would help to move perches, feeding stations, water, etc. so that the ones that are already in the cage don't think there are invaders in their territory. Do you have a spare cage? You might want to try moving the birds out of the cage for a few days and introducing them all at the same time. ??
I do have a spare cage, I'll try moving them out for a bit then replacing them back in the cage all at once.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)