Is my zebra finch stressed or sick?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Wcaronna
Pip
Pip

Is my zebra finch stressed or sick?

Post by Wcaronna » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:32 am

Hi all-

Im new to owning finches and my new finch, which I just brought home today is not making any sounds. She is opening her mouth but nothing is coming out. Is she stressed? She hasn't eaten or done anything. Any advice would be appreciated. I did cover the cage so she can rest if she is stressed.

Thanks

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Is my zebra finch stressed or sick?

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:02 am

Wcaronna

Hello,

I would offer food and water, a warm lamp on one corner of the cage, a shaded corner on the other corner, and leave her alone.

It does sound like your bird is stressed and probably afraid.
Zebra finches are extremely social birds, and it's really not recommended to keep a lone bird. Another female, would be a good companion for your little girl.

Good luck, and welcome to the Forum.

P.S. Please let us know how things are going, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Wcaronna
Pip
Pip

Post by Wcaronna » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:10 am

Thanks- yeah I plan on getting another one real soon. I was scared to start out with 2. But I may go out tomorrow and get another one. I will try what you said and see if that helps. It looks like she laid a cracked egg just now. I have no idea what that means. Should I introduce a new finch while she is already stressed?

Thanks

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:25 am

Wcaronna

Oh my goodness, she might have been slightly egg bound. The good thing is, she managed to pass the egg. She should be feeling a bit better shortly.

A warm lamp can do wonders for a little bird who is feeling a little under the weather.

I would hard boil an egg, peel it, crush the egg shell, and put the bits of egg shell in the cage with her.
The shells of hard boiled eggs, are rich in Calcium, which is extremely important for female birds (most especially if they are having problems with egg binding, which can very often kill a bird if not treated promptly).

You could also mash a quarter of the egg, and offer it to her in a small dish.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Wcaronna
Pip
Pip

Post by Wcaronna » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:34 am

Thanks

I will try the egg see if that helps. She seems to be a little more active now. I can hear her moving around in the cage.

Thanks-
Wendy

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:27 pm

Wcaronna

How is your little girl this morning?

I hope she comes around alright.

btw, hard boiled eggs, are a very important protein source for all caged birds.

A variety of greens, is also very important to their diet.

Keep us updated.
~Elana~

Wcaronna
Pip
Pip

Post by Wcaronna » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:32 pm

She's doing better this morning. Flying around and making a little noise. I bought roundybush finch food, do I just add the greens and egg to it or don't give her the finch food at all? I tried the egg shell and she may have eaten a little I can't tell.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:37 pm

Wcaronna

Glad to hear that things are on the up and up.

I would offer the finch food (seeds) in one container, the egg, (which should be replaced daily) in another, and maybe clip the greens to the side of the cage, by a perch where she likes to sit.

The egg shells I'd leave in the cage, and also add a cuttle bone as well.
~Elana~

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:58 pm

Wcaronna, congratulations on your new bird. Zebras are the greatest little finches.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:06 pm

Wcaronna

How is your new little girl doing?
Have you managed to find a little girlfriend for her yet?
~Elana~