Background for Aviary

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
bookfixer
Pip
Pip

Background for Aviary

Post by bookfixer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:34 am

I'm new to the hobby and this forum and I am currently building an indoor finch aviary, primarily Oak and Plexiglas similar to the first one on aviary services web page. I cannot find any information on whether a vinyl wallpaper mural would be appropriate for a background or do I need to go with one of the $300+ ones from an aviary supplier?

The top of the aviary is completely open, covered only with egg crate panels for a suspended ceiling. Do I need to be concerned with additional ventilation? From what I can see in the pics of “professional” aviaries they have wood or Plexiglas panels but no vents.

I will be using a 4' shop light type fixture with 2 Philips TL 950 32 watt bulbs so it shouldn't bee too bright.

Also looking forward to the show at the end of February.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jim

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: Background for Aviary

Post by lem2bert » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:48 am

bookfixer

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum. I can not help you with the information you are looking for , but there are many members here that I am sure will be able to help you. Good luck with your aviary !! :)
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:30 pm

bookfixer I believe that others have used the vinyl wallpaper murals for background on their aviaries. There should be some examples in the Housing forum. As far as ventilation, it appears that those commercial aviaries are all plexiglass on the front and sides, so they may rely only on the top for ventilation.

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care and housing. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to advise you on where to get supplies, etc.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

bookfixer
Pip
Pip

Post by bookfixer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:34 pm

Thanks Guys!