5 baby finches and my cage is on overload!!

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Tybee
Pip
Pip

5 baby finches and my cage is on overload!!

Post by Tybee » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:17 am

I have a cage 32" wide X 53" high. I have 5 society's and 2 pintails females. I also have 2 zebras that just had 5 babies in a smaller cage. I use this small cage as a hospital cage and it is very small. The babies are two weeks old and have just left the nest. Can I put the 2 parents & 5 babies back in the big cage till the babies are weaned from their parents and eating on their own? Will the societies be OK with the zebra babies? My pet store has agreed to take the babies once they are eating on their own and ready to be sold.
Thank you for any input you can give me!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: 5 baby finches and my cage is on overload!!

Post by lovezebs » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:37 am

Tybee

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

The Societies should be fine with the babies. In fact you might find that they will help the Zebra parents feed the babies, lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Tybee
Pip
Pip

Post by Tybee » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:31 am

Thank you so much Elena!!! When the babies first hatched they were all in the big cage with the societies and pintails. The societies would go into the nest and sit on the babies but would not let the parents come in to sit and feed… Therefore it became very stressful. When one of the zebra parents were in feeding the societies were all over around the cage waiting for the mom or dad to come out. I didn't want to stress out the babies or all the other adult birds so I removed the nest with the babies and the two zebra parents and put them in a very small cage. They have been taking care of them beautifully. It's now been 14 days and all five babies are fat and healthy and out of the nest. So now I have a family of seven in a very small cage. I guess my dilemma is, do I leave them in that very small cage or do I move them to the big cage with the five societies and 2 pintails where the parents can get some good flight exercise And they don't have to be so confined??? Remember the cage is 32"wide & 53" high. So nine adults and five babies are a lot but once the babies can eat on their own the pet store will take them. Will the 14 be OK in that cage for the next couple of weeks?

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:58 am

Tybee

If I was in your situation, I would probably just put the babies/parents in the big cage, until the babies are ready to go to the pet store. As you mentioned, it would only be for another 2-3 weeks anyways.
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Welcome! What is a pintail?
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted