Finch smell

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
soaring-yonder
Pip
Pip

Finch smell

Post by soaring-yonder » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:13 pm

My two zebras smell really bad, and my family are complaining as you can smell them in the hallway. I clean them out regularly with disinfectant and I spray them with water (they don't like baths). I know you can't use sprays as that's bad for them so is there anything else I can do to get rid of the smell?

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Finch smell

Post by debbie276 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:42 pm

I would investigate where the smell is coming from.
It is bedding getting wet and then smell foul?
Are the droppings wet and smelly?
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:49 pm

soaring-yonder

Finches, have no real smell to them. I mean they smell like feathers, but nothing that anyone would notice, unless they stuck their nose right up against the birds.

Cages that are not cleaned everyday or second day, can get smelly.
Food and or water that is left unchanged will smell bad, and is bad for your birds.

-Cage papers need to be changed daily.
-Water and seed cups, need to be changed daily, and washed in hot soapy water.
-Perches, toys, plants, etc. need to be removed whenever they get poopelized, soaked in hot soapy water, and scrubbed clean. If they still have a smell, you can use a mild vinegar/water solution, then rinse under hot water, dry and replace.
-Cage trays, need to be removed, dumped out, and washed in hot soapy water, and dried completely before being replaced.
-Cage bars, need to be wiped down regularly (at least once a week) with a mild vinegar/water solution.
-Once a month, place your birds in a travel cage, travel box, etc. where they will be safe and secure. Dump everything out of your cage, and give it a good wash and scrub in the tub.

If this is done, no one will be even able to tell that you have birds, and your birds will be happy and healthy for years to come.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:04 pm

lovezebs

Do you mind my asking what ratio water to vinegar do you use to clean the bars of the cage ? Sounds like a cheaper way than I am doing it . And also do you dry it off or just let it dry on the bars ?
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:29 pm

I NEVER take my birds out of the cage to clean it, and I have no smell as long as I dump the papers every other day.

There is no disinfectant that I am aware of that is safe for birds. What are you using as "disinfectant"?

I do take the tray out and wash it at least once a week during the summer when I can take it out and use the hose and a scrub brush on it. During the winter it gets wiped out and that is it. However I have a divided cage so I can safely shoo the birds to one side, put in the divider, and take the tray out to clean it without worrying about them escaping out the bottom. I do not use wire cage bottoms, they are optional in my cages (all Prevue products). So the tray has to be in to prevent loose birds in the house.

You could contact the manufacturer of your cages and see about getting a spare tray for the bottom of your cage - then you could remove the dirty one and put in a clean one right away, hence no worries about escapage while your back is turned.

If you are not taking the dirty papers ALL THE WAY OUT to the garbage, but just dumping them in a trash can in your room, that could be the source of the smell.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:47 pm

Pet birds do not have an odor. If you removed the birds from the room or even from the house, the odor will likely still be there. My guess is that it is coming from something else.

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:56 pm

soaring-yonder, my 3 year old grand nephew came to visit my birds and the first thing he said was "Aunt Sharon...they stink!". LOL! I clean their cages/paper every/every other day!!! I hose their cages out once a month. It's hot here...low 80's. If I give them a bath, they are hot, wet and smelly. :shock:
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

soaring-yonder
Pip
Pip

Post by soaring-yonder » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:04 am

lem2bert i don't use vinegar i use a bird safe disinfectant

soaring-yonder
Pip
Pip

Post by soaring-yonder » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:06 am

Sojourner there's a bird safe disinfectant i use, and its not a problem of not being able to clean them out, I do it regularly without problem and still don't know where the smell is coming from

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:05 am

Birds do not smell. If their droppings are smelly, most likely they are sick. Healthy bird droppings are not wet and/or smelly.
If there is a smell it may be coming from the bedding getting wet from the water or wet foods you are feeding. If you can figure out the source you may be able to eliminate the smell.
What types of food are you feeding?
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:30 pm

lem2bert

I use approximately a quarter cup vineger to a cup of water.

I wipe off the bars, then use another cloth and just warm water, to go over the bars again. You could dry with paper towels, but mine are usually dry by the time I'm through. If you use two buckets or containers and two wash cloths, it makes things a lot easier (one for vinegar water, one for clean).

To clean perches and whatnot, I don't really use a measurement, just hot water, some vinigar, scrub, scrub, then rinse under hot water.

Works like a charm.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:55 pm

I could never empty my flight cages mothly,I dont think I can get them even out of the bird room unless I take them apart.I clean all my cages,dishes,and anything with poop daily with hot water and a dab of reg dawn dish detregent I also wipe down the inside 2- 3 times a week,most of my cages are F030 if anyone has them you know how big and heavy those metal trays are so I sweep out wipe again with hot water and Dawn I have a assortment of brushes that fit in the corners and along the sides ,I also don't use wire bottoms and I line all my cages with brown mailing paper that comes on a roll no ink.Any quartine cages I wash with bleach,dawn and hot water and rinse in tub (there smaller) and are put away till needed Are you using newspaper maybe that is the problem I have no order in any of my cages maybe some people are more sensitive to smells then others but I would have to say even at the pet store I don't think there cages stink either and some of those store we'll we won't go there,I hope you can get to the bottom of your problem
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:46 pm

soaring-yonder, is one of your birds a hen on eggs? Hens hold on to their droppings until the morning, then they hop off the next and void. The resulting 'insult' can smell. Is that the case here?

Otherwise, the only smell I get from 9 or 10 birds is in very humid weather, when it has been humid for several days. If I clean every other day that doesn't even happen.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:17 pm

lovezebs

Thank-you so much for your reply. I am going to try that (vinegar is so cheap) =D> . Good idea for the perches! Right now I am using a product that is not harmful to the birds, but you cannot use it on anything that will absorb it and I only use wooden perches. Definitely going to be using the vinegar solution.
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:34 pm

soaring-yonder
Have you checked their water lately? Or looked around the cage to see if any food got spilled on the floor? If veggies get wet and start to go bad, it can start smelling terrible really quickly. I recently had an episode with a reeking cage that was caused by broccoli...