can I use these dishes?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

can I use these dishes?

Post by Tish » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:11 am

I have 4 large dishes that look like the picture below, my question is can I use them or could my societies drown in them? Are they to large? It's just that I can fit more water and food in them and that would be great because I have 10 birds to feed.
Attachments
41hgHggFW9L._SY200_.jpg
41hgHggFW9L._SY200_.jpg (7.95 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: can I use these dishes?

Post by lem2bert » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:03 am

Tish

I do not see a reason why you could not use them. If you have not bought them yet you might consider something bigger but more shallow. You could put dishes at the bottom of the cage for food and water . I will post a picture of the dishes I use and am very satisfied with them and my birds have no problem eating, drinking or bathing in them.
DSCN2099.JPG
I use one for food and one for water. You can buy these on Amazon, petsmart or petco.
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:20 am

I have tried to use the open water dishes, but I just use them for seed now. I didn't have any problem with drowning, but they would bathe in there and poop their little brains out so I got something similar these:

They're so much better, and really easy to clean and to change the water without needing to stick your hand in the cage. You just snap them onto the outside of the cage with the sipper poking through the bars.

You can use the open dishes, but after a while you might want to switch to these. The open ones just get so GROSS. :x
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:32 pm

lem2bert I like those dishes, I think I'll check into those one, I think my societies would love them.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:34 pm

MisterGribs I use to have those feeders, but I noticed my one bird didn't take to it, so I switched back to what he was use too.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Tish

My societies, gouldians and canaries all use these dishes. I just realized you were from Canada and do not know what stores or if amazon are available to you. I do hope you can find some. :)
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:14 pm

Tish just remember puting seeds in something too deep with 10 birds there will be a lot of husk from the seed that will fill the top and have to be blown out or they won't be able to get the seed under if there in a big enough flight cage with that many birds would you have room for a hanging feeder that you use for birds outside,this way you could see when it needs to be filled .and husk from the seeds they eat fall out as seeds come down.
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

alyse36
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by alyse36 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:55 pm

MisterGribs I have used water bottles for all my hookbills, so I got a silo like the ones you posted for my finches, but they don't seem to be taking to it. Any tips on how you trained them?
Alyse
*~*~*
Pickett-Black Cheek Zebra Finch (gotcha 2/11/17)
Poppy-Zebra Finch (gotcha 2/11/17)
Chica-Crimson Bellied Conure (gotcha 2/1/14)

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:32 pm

alyse36 Yes!

I left in the other water dish, but included this one also and parked it right next to the food. That way, a bird who was eating at the dish and looking around would inevitably lay eyes on the water multiple times.

Often, one of the finches would eventually drink from this out of convenience, since it was right in front of their faces.

Once the hen saw him doing this, she did it as well and I removed the other water source.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

alyse36
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by alyse36 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:42 pm

MisterGribs Shoot, that's what I've been doing. Maybe I haven't given it enough time. I've only have them since the 11th
Alyse
*~*~*

alyse36
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by alyse36 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:02 pm

Right after I typed that, I'm nearly positive I just saw my male use it. Lol
Alyse
*~*~*

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:01 am

alyse36 They can be so stubborn! Mine took over a month to try the bath.

I like how when they use the sippers, a little bubble goes up. It's so cute.

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:19 am

Hi !!! Seems like you have some good advice on the responses. I'll add my two cents. Maybe it will help you or someone else's aviary. I found these dishes at the dollar store. I use them for baths and treats.
Attachments
IMG_3572.JPG
30+ Gouldians
1 Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:00 pm

They are big enough for bath time too. (The water is yellow from vitamin d3 drops). They love it! I've noticed less bickering or fighting over space if more than one bird gets in at the same time. When I had smaller dishes and two or more would come, they would bicker about who could take a bath first.
Attachments
IMG_3561.JPG
30+ Gouldians
1 Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:59 pm

Madcat Thanks for sharing! How you you prevent these dishes from becoming poop recepticles? My birds will actually turn around to poop in the bath before refacing the water. D<

Love the pictures! There's nothing more cute and funny than a soaking wet finch. :lol: