Sleeping...where?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
ellen7
Hatchling
Hatchling

Sleeping...where?

Post by ellen7 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:24 pm

I just posted a few questions in the canary forum because I'm thinking about either a canary or a pair of Societies. My question here is about Societies and their daily sleep/bed time.

From what others have told me on my posts about Societies, they like to mate and breed because they are social birds :) Totally makes sense to me. The pet store has societies and if I decide on them over the female canary, and since they are so difficult to sex, I just might come home with a female/male pair. I don't want eggs though and members here have suggested taking the nest out even though it is possible for the female to lay in seed cups, etc.

Now this is where I feel pretty silly asking this but without a nest, where do they sleep comfortably? Do they just sleep standing up on perches? Like I said, I feel pretty silly asking these type of questions...lol.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Sleeping...where?

Post by lovezebs » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:54 pm

ellen7

Societies, can sleep on perches, like any other birds. Some people offer a little shelf in the cage corner where they can pile up and snooze together.

Most burds don't need nests to sleep in.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:04 pm

ellen7 first no question is silly and yes they just stand if you watch them the squat down on the perch and seem comfortable enough I have six societies that sleep on the highest perch so close together one or two of them always pop up and are sleeping on top of another,Don't know that much about canaries but I have a male and they are the same,hard to tell male from female,but I think they do better alone where if your cage is big enough society the more the merrier.have fun deciding
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:29 pm

ellen7

I just purchased my first society and he has found a perch he likes to sleep in somewhere at the top of his cage inside some artificial greens. After it gets dark in the room I go in and make sure everyone is on a perch but I cannot see the society, but I know he is up there somewhere. :)
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

ellen7
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ellen7 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks! It was just something I was wondering about since I see so many nests in cages.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:20 pm

My guys mostly sleep down on the floor of the cage - it is a habit they got into because poor Bambi couldn't really fly when I first got him and he couldn't get up to the upper perches very easily - and didn't feel safe once he got there. He'd been kept in a teensy cage for months and lost muscle and strength.

He's fine now and they do sometimes sleep up on a perch now, but they still mostly sleep in the bottom of the cage.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.