Zebra finch color mutations and cage size

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Summerrboyy
Pip
Pip

Zebra finch color mutations and cage size

Post by Summerrboyy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:41 pm

Hello everyone. I am new to zebra finches and recently got two pairs. I was wondering if anyone could help me determine what colors I have. Also if the cage I have for them is big enough and how many finches can live in it. The cage is 31-inch long, 20-1/2-inch wide and 53-inch high with 1/2-inch wire spacing. Thanks everyone
Attachments
IMG_6207.JPG
IMG_6210.JPG
IMG_6208.JPG
IMG_6206.JPG

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: Zebra finch color mutations and cage size

Post by lem2bert » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:48 pm

Summerrboyy

Hi from Massachusetts !! :-H

I do not own zebra finches but many members on here have them. I am sure someone will be able to help you as far as experience on how many to safely house in that size cage.

Beautiful little zebras ! And a wonderful cage for them. :)
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Nicole R.
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Nicole R. » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Summerrboyy

Welcome! I think you will find lots of great support here. There is a "number of birds per cage" calculator on finchinfo.com and you can input your cage measurements and it will tell you how many finches can be comfortably housed.

You can find it here:
http://www.finchinfo.com/housing/cage_s ... ulator.php

Try it out for yourself and see what it tells you.

I am sure others will chime in about your color types.

Best wishes,
Nicole
2 red billed firefinches
2 red cheeked cordon bleus
2 owl finches
2 seagreen parrot finches
All yet to be delivered
Non-breeding (all male) mixed community

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:46 am

If you can, I would try trading in for a cage that's wide from side to side, instead of tall.

How do you like your new little zib zobs? Do you have names for them yet? The male with the tan cheeks I believe is a CFW or 'chestnut flanked white.' I could be mistaken, but it looks like he and one of the hens might have a couple of pied spots too!
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:27 pm

Summerrboyy

Welcome to the Forum from Canada.

Pretty Zebra kids, and a nice roomy cage. They will absolutely love it.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Summerrboyy

That is the exact cage I have for my mixture of two society finches and three zebs. Your birds should be quite happy!

I love the lighter colored zebras! I was attempting to find one for myself, when I fell in love with a little black cheek zeb and his buddy instead. :lol: Sadly, my husband won't let me add any more cages--probably a good thing, or I'd never stop finch shopping!

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum
I'll post for the colors
1st pic from left to right (bottom to top lol)
Cfw hen
Pied Cfw cock split to something else may ff is he crested ? Isee he isn't he has lost some feathers on the top of head in your case iwill put not two pairs in same cage 3 pairs or more is recomanded to avoid the zebbie war even hen will participate to this war
A ff or florida silver hen
NG male

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:50 pm

If you place feed and water and perches strategically you can encourage the birds to use the full cage. That cage is plenty big enough for 6 to 8 zebras or 8 to 10 societies. Watch for aggression, especially with zebras. Put up some fake greenery so they can hide from each other when they get fed up.

Make sure there are at least 2 of each water and feed source so they don't fight over water and food. So - 2 cuttlebones, 2 mineral blocks (score them and/or knock off the corner so finches can use them) at least 2 if not 3 water silos, 2 mineral mix cups, 2 treat cups for each type of treat seed you might feed them, etc. Place them lower in the cage and not under perches (so as not to collect poop) and that will get your guys using the whole cage.

If that is a Prevue cage - I think its the F040 that is 30" long - these are currently on sale on Amazon for $100. I have 2 of these that I will be putting together after removing the sides. It takes a dremel tool or similar to cut through the solder blobs. Then they have a 5' flight path (make sure not to block the flight path with too many perches).

But they can do a lot with a 30" flight, especially if you are strategic in your placement of perches and feed/water.

I have, over the past couple of years since getting birds again, come to view that cage calculator as perhaps not so well suited to people just keeping a few birds for pets. It seems geared more towards people who are breeding. If you are breeding, things are much much different for the birds. If you don't want them to breed and are agreeable to tossing any stray eggs and keeping anything remotely nest-like out of the cage, things are a lot different.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.