Frozen seeds

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Roller 1
Pip
Pip

Frozen seeds

Post by Roller 1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:49 pm

Hello and thanks for the add. I am new to finches but not birds.. I was wondering if I can still feed a seed mix that was frozen for 4 days ? I just acquired 14 Lady Gouldians I have them in a private room of their own at a temp of 77 degrees and 70% humidy..Thank you

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Frozen seeds

Post by Sheather » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:43 pm

Yes, I keep extra seed in the freezer to preserve the nutritive value.
~Dylan

~~~

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:56 pm

Sheather Will the seed still sprout if you soak it once it's been frozen?
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Roller 1
Pip
Pip

Post by Roller 1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:15 am

Sheather wrote: Yes, I keep extra seed in the freezer to preserve the nutritive value.
Thank you !

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:08 am

People also freeze seed, intentionally, to kill any potential seed moths. If you've ever had seed moths, you'll know why they do this. It is a safe and easy way to kill some insects. Then they end up storing the seed in the freezer since it is easier to leave it there.

The ability of seed to sprout after being frozen is a good question--anyone have the answer? I'm sure it depends on the seed variety and the amount of frozen time.

I just wish that freezing would kill crabgrass seed!
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Roller 1
Pip
Pip

Post by Roller 1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:37 am

Dave wrote: People also freeze seed, intentionally, to kill any potential seed moths. If you've ever had seed moths, you'll know why they do this. It is a safe and easy way to kill some insects. Then they end up storing the seed in the freezer since it is easier to leave it there.

The ability of seed to sprout after being frozen is a good question--anyone have the answer? I'm sure it depends on the seed variety and the amount of frozen time.

Thanks Dave !

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Dave wrote: <snippage>

It does. Sadly it doesn't kill the roots/runners. That's why crab grass spreads so fast, it sends out multiple stolons to make new blobs of crabgrass, which each also send out more stolons, etc etc etc.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Sojourner, the crabgrass that afflicts the Midwest U.S. is Digitaria sanguinalis. It is an annual, producing a lot of seed. It grows each spring from seed that overwintered in the lawn. Frost kills the plant in the fall, leaving brown patches.

The seed germinates in spring, about the time Lilac flowers. Homeowners apply a pre-emerge herbicide at Lilac time to prevent the seed from germinating.

There are perennial forms of Digitaria, and some species even produce seed that is used for human food.
Dave

Canaries

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:17 pm

Well it has been over 20 years since I've lived in the Midwest. Maybe I'm thinking of some other opportunistic weed. However I over planted with a clover/grass seed mix every year so I've really never had that much problem with any sort of crabgrass at all. It's an opportunistic weed that likes to fill holes in your lawn.

When such holes are already filled with clover life is generally pretty much crabgrass free, LOL! Plus clover feeds the lawn. When you overseed properly you won't get big patches of clover, it'll be mixed through the lawn. But should a patch die for whatever reason (say, your dog has a favorite spot) the clover will fill it in before noxious weeds can get a foothold.

No crabgrass worries here in the desert. In fact, no grass worries either. I'm big on xeriscaping.

I try to sterilize soil the year before putting in a new garden by covering with clear plastic, which kills stolons, destroys seed, and generally makes life much easier. As long as you get enough consecutive sunny days to heat things up, which was problematic in Portland OR, LOL!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:37 pm

Sojourner, I've been involved in a commercial farm that used clear poly over soil to disinfest the plot from weed seeds. It works! It takes very clear poly and some patience, though.

And I'm a BIG fan of clover. When we get serious about the health of bees, we'll stop mowing lawns and let clover, dandelions etc grow instead. If you're a bee, a mowed lawn is a useless place.
Dave

Canaries

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:06 pm

Dave I love the white clover, it smells so good at sundown
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.