Breeding Lady Gouldian finches

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Roller 1
Pip
Pip

Breeding Lady Gouldian finches

Post by Roller 1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:54 pm

When breeding LGF is it best to pairthe birds yourself or put all of them in a large cage and let them choose their own mate ?

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: Breeding Lady Gouldian finches

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:24 pm

I separate and pair mine off. You now have accurate data on which parent colors mated and the genetics. The worst thing that can happen is they don't like each other but even that is not common.
I then use various colored split plastic rings on the chicks to identify family of origin and year of hatch. [eg. yellow band right leg for XYZ parents in 2017]. Partly so you aren't breeding siblings next time.

Roller 1
Pip
Pip

Post by Roller 1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:38 pm

Thanks for that info. I was going to put them in their own cage after I saw that they had paired up..I really do not want to colney breed and I with you on breeding siblings...

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:24 pm

Roller 1

I usually allow them to pick their own mates, then take the pair and place them in their own cage to breed and raise their young. I find that when the female gets to choose her mate, things always work out much better in the long run.

Once on their own, the bonded pair are focused on each other, and concentrate on breeding, hatching, and raising their babies, without having to go through the 'getting to know each other period' and deciding whether they like each other or not, etc.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~