Mixed Flights :(

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
The Maltese
Pip
Pip

Mixed Flights :(

Post by The Maltese » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:02 pm

Newbie to the forum :oops:

I am setting up 4 fairly large cages. My intention was to have a couple of species per cage according to compatibility charts found online, eg.

CAGE 1 - 2 pairs of St. Helena Waxbils & 2 pairs of owls
CAGE 2 - 3 pairs of zebras & long tail finches
CAGE 3 - society & star finches
etc

Pet store owner suggested to change the above setup and have only 1 pair per species in each cage. So, for example the 2 paris of Waxbills will be housed in 2 separate cages; the zebs in 3 different cages ... and so on and so forth. He says that each pair will stick together and will avoid fighting. But will incompatible birds (according to online charts) be ok in the same cage if there is only 1 pair of each???

What are your opinions?

Question 2 :)

I am in Malta (Mediterranean)... in Summer the temperature goes 35 degrees + and this Winter it went down to 3 degrees for a few nights which was the coldest we have had in the last 20 years. Most finches are listed as being "Hardy when acclimatized", but would this temperature would be suitable to house gouldians, waxbills, cordonbleus, owls, silverbills, etc outdoors during winter?

Thanks in advance for your help :D

The Malteser

~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Shaft Tails ~ Plum Headed Finch Mutations ~ Masked Finches ~ Stars ~ Gloster Canaries ~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: Mixed Flights :(

Post by Sojourner » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Is that centigrade, or Fahrenheit?

As for mixing birds that the compatibility charts say are incompatible - I wouldn't do that. Even birds in the same category won't get along sometimes.

Heck, even birds of the same SPECIES won't get along sometimes.

Just how large ARE your "fairly large" cages? Size matters. At least this time, LOL!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:39 pm

A few years back I had some waxbills, for two years, in an aviary that was frequently as cold as 40° F (4° C). They seemed fine, and that spring raised young.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:08 pm

The Maltese

Hello from Canada, and welcome to the Forum.

Could you give us the measurements of your cages/ flight cages? Seeing as all the species you've mentioned need flying room.

Now, let's take a look at the species which you are considering.
The St. Helena's I don't have, and so am not familiar with.
Owls and Stars can be easily housed together.
Zebras and Shaft tails, can be housed together.
As for Societies, they can usually be housed with pretty much most species (as long as they are not a really aggressive species).

I have Stars and Owls housed together, without any issues.
I have Zebras and Societies together, along with one male Shaft tail, one male Cutthroat, and one male Diamond Sparrow, without any major issues.

In regards to the weather on Malta...
If you are planing on buying your birds from local breeders who house their birds outdoors, you really shouldn't have any major problems.

If you are buying birds who have been kept indoors, then yes, they will need to be acclimated to being outside.

Regarding the heat, you will obviously need to supply shade and fresh water both for drinking and for bathing. Some members who live in Souh Africa, put misting systems together, so that the birds can go for a nice cool shower when it gets very hot (35C is HOT).

As to the Winter cold...
Some enclosed shelter will probably be in order, where your birdies can go inside to get away from the cold, the wind, and the rain.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any more questions :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:34 pm

I personally wouldn't keep tiny African waxbills in 4 degrees.
As for the mixing, it is often 2 pairs of the same species that don't get along, not different species.
Though big space helps.