Society Finch in nest for long periods

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
justread
Hatchling
Hatchling

Society Finch in nest for long periods

Post by justread » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi,
I've had my lovely Society Finches (Pickle and Pratt) for a few months and have a question about the male (well the store and the vet says male) spending an inordinate amount of time in the nest. He does come out to eat and bath (they both bath at least twice a day) and eat the green leafy, but spends the remainder of the day in the nest. It's one of those sort of egg shaped wicker nests--purchased but they've absolutely filled it with the wool and paper strips I've put in the cage. He's always pecking and re-arranging. He has also started to take some of the kale into the cage. I know there's no shortage of food, millet, or greenery, so I don't understand what the fellow is doing. Also, the female does sing...

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Society Finch in nest for long periods

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:10 pm

justread

If your female is singing and your male is brooding, then you may have them mixed up.

Although male Societies, will spend a lot of time in the nest, females will not sing, they chirp like crickets.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

justread
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by justread » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:25 pm

There seems to be 3 sounds that come from the cage. A chirp, lower tone, I would call it conversation, they both seem to make these short notes. Then there is a possible 4 note sound, some variation in tone. And then there's a longer sound that seems like a combination, not quite. But this is the one I hear in the morning. :D

Ah, and there's the sound they make when I'm vacuuming, and it's definitely not a happy sound!

I'm not sure if I want them to breed or not. I'd want to get a larger cage, it's only 32" long, somewhere around 20 - 22" high. Seems like only barely enough room for them and all their "stuff"

If they do, fine. But as long as his (her?) long sit is OK, I'm fine too. (And not laying eggs)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:11 am

justread

If someone(s) is sitting in the nest for what seems like extended periods of time (only coming out to eat and drink), then I'm guessing it's not if or when they lay eggs, lol. More than likely there are eggs in there already :wink:
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

justread
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by justread » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:17 am

Really....

Well, I did peer in and saw nothing, but I'll get out my nifty flashlight and see if the eggs are lower than I imagine.

Gads, I hope not. I'm going on holidays. "Hi, house sitter...you know those TWO birds in there..."

Gestation two weeks? Gads, talk about timing. As in bad timing. Maybe he's/she's just enjoying the results of all their efforts.

:)

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:36 am

Go to youtube and search on "male society singing"

Listen to several of these videos paying particular attention to the posture of the male as he sings. He goes sort of pear shaped.

So its not only the song but also the posture and the little dance. That's a male. A female NEVER does all that.

There are only 3 ways to tell if a society is male or female.

1) DNA test
2) you see a bird lay an egg (obviously female), or she lays an egg alone in a cage or with only a known male.
3) you see a bird singing and posturing - that's a male

Unless your vet did one of those three things, he has no way to tell if the bird is male or female. He was just guessing.

Well there IS one other way, but it involves surgery and possibly the death of the bird.

Sometimes a female will give an abbreviated version of the song, usually with little or no dance and definitely skipping the pear shaped thing.

So right now it would seem that either you have 2 females, one of whom is doing the abbreviated song, or 1 female who is brooding (sitting in the nest) and the other is male.

You do not need a male for a female to be laying eggs. The eggs won't be fertile, but she can still lay them.

So go watch those videos and see if one of your birds is singing and posturing like that. That would be a male. If neither of them are doing that, probably neither are males (or they're so young nobody's got their song yet). Wait a couple months more. Allegedly societies are sexually mature by 4 months but I'd give them until 6 months just to be sure.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:21 am

justread

Here's a link to watch...

https://youtu.be/AyLsoKIwsj8

The bird on the left, is a male.
~Elana~

justread
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by justread » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi,

Well, I did listen a few times and will again, and I spent some time trying to compare their songs...but will have to analise again because some of their sounds aren't at all like the fellow and that long twittering sound isn't exactly familiar.

They should be old enough, I've had them since September, the "male" is presently hopping around and puffed up, as I type, twittering away. His personality is quite different from the "female" though they'll all have different personalities anyway. When I first had them he'd jump on her but doesn't seem to be doing that now.

Well, like people with their children/grandchildren, I could go on too long. I'll report back. Thank you for your tip. Ah, and I peeked: no eggs. :)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:23 pm

justread

If it's hopping around all puffed up, then definitely a male.

Now the question is, is your other bird a female?
~Elana~

justread
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by justread » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:06 pm

I am not sure...

Now that I know that the males are puffing up when singing I'll watch for her. They both puff up after their baths (frequent...seem so be so happy playing in there... I change the water often!)

I'll watch for her puffing up when singing. "He" definitely was! So, I'll keep a closer eye. It's funny that I just enjoy their play and silliness without analysis, and I talk with them. They eye me and sometimes chirp in return for my sounds. Have noticed that they are definitely more receptive if I am in light coloured clothing. I'll watch for her puffing. They do both fly back and forth frequently, repeatedly, at some parts of the day. If anything I'd guess two males. But will see.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:30 pm

justread

Yes, they do respond to you, if you spend a lot of time around them and talk to them.

When their baths arrive in the morning, it's like: OH HAPPY DAY, OH HAPPPY DAAAY!!!, lol \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ with everybody dancing and singing down the aisles.
~Elana~

justread
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by justread » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Sounds like you have many birds. But yes, they are quite excited to have their baths...The water is splashed sometimes four feet away.
Have to watch that my laptop isn't too close!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:33 pm

justread

The water splashes I don't mind...
It's the other gifts that get flung my way occasionally....uhem....that I can do without :YMSICK:
~Elana~

justread
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by justread » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:43 am

I guess you have other larger birds. Not much of the white "goop" goes across the room... I do try to change the water often, but "he" dips his butt in, it seems, as soon as there is fresh water... They do fling the lettuce and kale around but it doesn't come through the cage.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:48 pm

justread

It's not only large birds that let the poop fly, some of the little Waxbills can do a good job of it too.

Don't you just love it, when you stick your head into the flight and PLOP!!!
I look around, /:) /:) /:)
"Ok, who did that???"
Everyone is like... :-?? :-?? :-??

I turn my head.... and PLOP....PLOPPPP.....

~X( :YMTONGUE: :YMTONGUE: :YMTONGUE:
~Elana~