I found a society finch?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
CodenameNene
Pip
Pip

I found a society finch?

Post by CodenameNene » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:31 pm

I found a society finch about a month ago in front of my school. So far he is doing well, but he is missing his tail. (He was missing it when I found him) When he took a bath today, I noticed the area was rather large looking and had an odd lump? What should the area look like normally? Is this serious?

This is my first time with any kind of bird, any tips for care is welcome.
Attachments
IMG_2125.JPG

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: I found a society finch?

Post by lovezebs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:38 pm

CodenameNene

That was nice of you to take him in :)

His tail should grow back in time.

Does his little lump look something like this?

https://goo.gl/images/DGVHYj
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

CodenameNene
Pip
Pip

Post by CodenameNene » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:48 pm

~Elana~

Thank you! His lump does, not as large though. What does that mean?

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:21 pm

Not to worry. It's his preen glan and is supposed to be there. He is probably very young, and as Lovezebs stated above, his tail will grow out in time. Good luck with your new bird. Maybe think of getting another Society for company once you figure out if it's a male or female. If you don't want to be over run with babies, you might want to keep just males OR females, not a pair.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:58 pm

Bambi's tail never grew back, but he's fine without it. He flies quite well in his 36" long cage. I'll be adopting 6 societies from a breeder who thought she might use them to foster her Gouldian chicks, but the Gouldian parents have been doing just fine. A lot of them are missing tail feather as well so they will all be going into a double F040 flight along about April.

I'll also be getting some owls - don't know how many - but they are old so I anticipate tears here soon.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.