Supplement Routine?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
adamfromsubway
Pip
Pip

Supplement Routine?

Post by adamfromsubway » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:36 pm

I am new to finches and am the proud new owner of two Lady Gouldians. I am giving them seed, powdered egg food, powdered kelp, and some oyster shell grit. I'm curious how you supplement your birds and what methods work well for you. I mixed the kelp with the eggshell the first time and then read that they will eat the kelp powder by itself when offered in a separate dish so I'm going to try that as well. I also read that they like a lot of fruit and vegetables and boiled eggs which I am going to try tonight as well. Anyone want to share how they supplement their birds and what their favorite treats are? I've always had cockatiels and hook bills before and they never liked fruit or vegetables, I think because they didn't have them early on in life. What do you guys give your birds?

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Supplement Routine?

Post by Dave » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:39 pm

I'm not much on supplements. But, Gouldians need extra iodine (I'm told) so I add that to the water, per instructions on the bottle.

I offer a seed mix, sunflower chips, boiled egg mashed up with the shell, greens like kale or brocolli or other dark green vegetables, and a mineral mix that includes shells and minor minerals.

That's it. I've done that for years and don't seem to have trouble with breeding success. However, I don't raise waxbills or other species that require live food.

My birds are in a 16' x 8' aviary, and get plenty of exercise. I think lots of exercise, while not a supplement, is really important.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:14 am

adamfromsubway
I used to supplement with reptile vitamins. They did well, but it was a bit of a pain having to sprinkle it onto their wet food. Right now I am supplementing my birds with Higgins Sunburst mineral grit (not real grit, just a supplement) and Quiko Classic eggfood. Their main diet is millet-based parakeet seed with some greens, mostly broccoli and cabbage. I think I will make some egg bread and perhaps sprout some seed as well. None of my birds will go near fruit.
Note that many supplements do not contain what they say they do. If you can find a reliable source, it is ideal (but largely impractical) to buy fat-soluble vitamins separate from one another, as they can cause overdoses. You can supplement water-soluble vitamins all mixed together, as the risk of overdose is extremely low.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:47 pm

I use Oasis Vita Drops in their water, mostly for the Vitamin D3.

I feed kelp from time to time but my budgies seem to go for that more than my finches.

And I use ABBA Mineral Mix, cuttlebone, a roughed-up mineral block so finchly beaks can use it, and crushed egg shell for their minerals and calcium. More forms of calcium so that if they go off any one thing for whatever reason there's still something in the cage they'll use.

The Mineral mix has a ton of trace minerals in it along with crushed oyster shell, which has been crushed smaller than the stuff you get for chickens.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:01 pm

adamfromsubway

I use Vetafarm Soluvite D. My birds love it . I use it twice a week and it seems to be working out fine. I also feed a variety of green vegetable, fruit , egg or soaked seed every other day .
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.