Heartbreak and confusion

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
France81
Pip
Pip

Heartbreak and confusion

Post by France81 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:10 pm

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie here and I'm in desperate need of advice. First of all I'm located in Derby,CT. I had a pair of Lavender Waxbill finch for almost 7 years now, 2 days ago one of them passed away. The one that is left is doing fine, but I can tell that he is missing his companion. I'm trying to locate a companion but I can't find one, I called many different places without luck. Now I'm lost and don't know how to proceed. Can you guys please offer me some advice? I wonder if it will be okay to add a different type of finch as a companion or it has to be Lavenders? My heart breaks every time I see him there all by himself, I have a Quaker right next to him but he needs another friend.
Thank you,
Ana.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Heartbreak and confusion

Post by Sheather » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:36 pm

Another type of finch would comfort him. Maybe a society finch - they're very gentle, get along with other species, and are cheap and available at most stores which sell birds.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:49 am

France81

Another Lavender, would be ideal. Could you possibly order one in?

As Sheather ( Dylan ) mentioned, Society finches are very Social and friendly, but I'm not entirely certain if the Lavender would be interested in cuddling with the Society .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

France81
Pip
Pip

Post by France81 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:04 am

Hi Elana and Dylan! Thank you so much for your reply, since it just happened I will keep trying a little longer. If I don't find it I guess society will be the way to go. Does anyone know a place that I could try? I am trying to avoid shipping the bird and I'm willing to drive a little further away if necessary.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:05 am

France81

Start a thread in the marketplace part of the board and put the shout out that you are in Connecticut looking for lavenders (PUT IT IN THE TOPIC LINE) . That way someone in your state will spot it immediately.

Hope that helps. :)

France81
Pip
Pip

Post by France81 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:15 am

Thanks for the tip Babs, will do. :D

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:07 am

France81

Lavenders are not the most common finch around.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T GET A ZEBRA AS A COMPANION :twisted:

Also, you may want to read this information article, about introducing new birds.

http://www.finchinfo.com/birds/finches/ ... axbill.php

http://www.hofmann-photography.de/html/ ... xbill.html

http://www.thefinchfarm.com/lavender-waxbill/
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:14 pm

France81 I know it might be far to travel,the bird supply in NH has had Lavenders in the past I had stoped by there maybe about a month ago and they didn't have any finches,but said they would be geting some in the spring.You could call them to see if they have any or know if they would be geting some soon.I know this might be far for you but it would be faster and safer then shipping.If you bring a good size cage with millett and cutecumber or a tube of water, it would be set for its trip home.
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

France81
Pip
Pip

Post by France81 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:38 pm

I am willing to drive that far, I would like to avoid shipping. I will call them and ask, thank you for the tip.

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:12 pm

France81your welcome I hope you have luck finding a friend for your Lavendar
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:46 pm

France81

Did you have any luck finding another Lavander for your lonesome birdie?
~Elana~

France81
Pip
Pip

Post by France81 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:53 pm

Elana,
Yes! A member of the group send me information about a place in Maryland that have them, my mother is bringing one for me on her way back from FL.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:24 pm

France81

Woo hoo, wonderful news.

I'm so happy youv'e found a companion for your birdie.

I would quarantine the newbie for at least a couple of weeks, then introduce by placing cages side by side for a while, so they'll get use to each other, before being placed together.

Pictures please :D
~Elana~

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Wed May 10, 2017 6:33 pm

France81 hello did you get your lavander? I was at the bird supply in NH today they have some,not many but they did have them.Just in case you are still looking
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked

France81
Pip
Pip

Post by France81 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi Barbara,
I got one from Maryland 10 days ago, my lavender did not like getting a new companion which is creating another issue. They are not hurting each other but he doesn't want to be too close to the new companion, I hope this will change soon. There are some signs of improvement but I never found myself in this type of situation before and frankly don't know what to do. Thank you for checking in.
Ana.