Getting a pair of zebra finches soon...

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
KelseyLou
Pip
Pip

Getting a pair of zebra finches soon...

Post by KelseyLou » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:01 am

I'm probably already committing a big no-no but I'm buying a pair of zebra finches from Petsmart. I intend to get a male and a female pair from there, one pied and one regular so to speak. Pardon my utter lack of knowledge of the genetics jargon behind these little birds as of currently. I'm an animal science major and I do take a particular interest in genetics. I'm rather curious about a number of things. I won't be getting the birds for at least another couple of months so I'm not in a hurry.

I already have a pretty large cage, it's 18.5"L x 14.5"W x 28"H with two wooden perches already install as well as two feeders. I'm also getting a cuttlebone, a bird bath, and an extra perch. I know that these aren't birds of parrot level intelligence but I know they obviously require some kinds of toys for enrichment when they're in their cage during the day. So I'm looking for suggestions on toys to put in their with them that are appropriate for birds of that size.

I asked specifically about how much interaction these birds get with people and they aren't terrified of people and will land on your hand if you put it in the cage. So I want to know how to tame them, without giving them a heart attack. I know it will take time but I'm curious as to what the best method will be. I'd like to be able to let them out of their cage in my bedroom at my apartment at some point without them flying into walls out of terror.

I'm also curious about the coloring genetics so if someone could get me a basic dominance/recessive of coloring and mutations for them I would very much appreciate it. I'd like to get a pied x non-pied pair.

The last thing I was wondering about leg banding. I would like to band my birds at some point if at all possible. How likely is that for this initial pair of birds. I would like to allow them to breed at some point.

Thank you all in advance!

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: Getting a pair of zebra finches soon...

Post by MisterGribs » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:11 am

Don't forget your vitamin drops! Finches need iodine and other nutrients; a balanced vitamin drop for finches is really important.

Finches don't really understand toys that are just for the sake of toys, so you have to entertain them with forage and other ''toys'' whose entertainment module mimics what they would occupy their time with in nature.

I had put a transparent tube of mealworm beetles hung inside the cage for them to watch like a fish tank, they LOVED that.

Give them a box of sand with small sticks, acorn caps, and dry leaves for them to scratch around in. Sprinkling very tiny pieces of dried fruit, rolled oats and eggshell will keep them interested in the forage box for a long time.

A bath, changed daily, is also a good offering.

Shredded, clean paper (Newspaper will stain their beaks) tied tightly in a bundle on one side of the cage will keep them pleased, give them something to shred, and if they are frustrated they are more likely to rip up the paper or attack a small mirror instead of chasing or plucking other birds or themselves.

Lettuce leaves stuffed inside a wire ball gives them something fun to do as well, and my own personal zebra finches love to pull and snap colorful rubber bands tied to their cage bars. If you do this, tie them tightly stretched across the bars so they are a tight line and not a loose hoop! You don't want any wings or legs getting tangled in. Wash the rubber bands thoroughly first, and replace them if they become broken.

Offer a different treat every day. Cooked peas one day, steamed brown rice the next, etc. They won't eat it at first, but continue offering it and eventually they will try it. My birds also love a small amount of fruit juice in one of their waterers once in a while!
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:07 pm

Some people use vitamins, some don't. I feed a mostly pellet diet (maybe 60 - 75% of the dry is Roudybush nibles pellets), lots of fresh produce every day + egg food. I don't feel extra vitamins are necessary with pellets and a variety of natural produce in the diet.

The cage sounds a little small, but should be adequate. Ideally, a cage 30 inches long is recommended.

Finches don't play with toys. They may tug strings and such, but only out of want to build a nest. Mirrors and parakeet toys will be ignored.

Pied x normal gray will give you both normal gray and slightly pied babies (one or two white feathers), judging from my personal experience with zebras. Beware that pet shop birds bought at the same store at the same time are probably brother and sister and not recommended to be bred.

I let my birds out often, they are good about going back home, but new birds tend t take a few days to figure out both how to come out, and come back in, and will require some time to learn how to use the cage door. Imagine living in one room for your whole life and suddenly, if you run into one of the walls, you find it falls down and you can escape. It takes some birds a long time to even realize an open door means they can get out, as they are used to their whole world being inside the cage.
~Dylan

~~~

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:58 pm

KelseyLou

Swings! Zebra finches especially love a little swing! I also provide fake foliage, which provides entertainment and visual relief from each other. My favorite foliage is one I get at Hobby Lobby that looks like a deciduous tree branch, with all kinds of individual leaves. They love nothing more than working at tearing off the leaves one at a time and parading them about the cage to show off to the others.

I honestly haven't tried to tame mine, but I can say they will readily land around and on my arm to get to some boiled egg or cucumber, whether I want them to or not. Probably, as with most animals, just holding something like that in your hand for extending periods of time is the key to getting them accustomed to the idea that you're not gonna eat them like little finch-y nuggets.

Post pictures once you get 'em! None of us ever seem to get enough of seeing finches!

Sue55
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Sue55 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:40 pm

Oh look I can post. I enjoyed reading the replies to kelsie lou's post.

Sue

KelseyLou
Pip
Pip

Post by KelseyLou » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks so much for all the answers you guys!

As far as food brands what are some of your favored brands that seem to do well? Also what sort of produce and fruit can they have safely?

Also, on the note about the birds from the same pet store, I will have to look into that and ask about their suppliers. I'm also looking a possibly buying from the Finch Farm if any of you all know about them.

@Sheather
About the Pied x N/P vs Pied x Pied subject. So it would be more likely for me to want to get a pair of both pied birds if I'm wanting moderately pied offspring?

As for my cage, it was the largest one I could find around here and not order one and spend a fortune. Also, I live in a small apartment and am moving to an even smaller one so having a 30" cage is sort of out of the question.

Thanks again.

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:05 am

In that case, with the cage being undersized, you should set up a play area for them and leave the cage open whenever you are home. Finches need to fly around quite a lot. Mine return to their favorite sleeping spots at night, and spend all day going in and out of the cage.

As for food, make sure your seed mix is specifically for finches and be sure to give them lots of fruit and veg. They also enjoy small mealworms. Before you feed them anything new, you can always check for a list of unsafe foods for birds, print it out and hang it on the fridge.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.