Gloster Canaries

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
The Maltese
Pip
Pip

Gloster Canaries

Post by The Maltese » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:50 pm

Wanted to start by thanking all those who contribute to the forum, especially my posts :) . They make this hobby so much more enjoyable for newbies like me.

So ... have bought a lovely pair of Gloster Canaries. They eat and drink, they are not puffed up, and generally they seem to be in good health. However, for some reason they spend most of their time (if not all) at the bottom of the cage.

As I have said they seem to be in good health and my guess is that they are simply too lazy to fly around!!!! When instigated to fly they will fly around for a cople of seconds and then back to the cage floor. They are currently housed with zebras and there is no fighting going on.

Is this typical behaviour for Gloster Canaries?

The Malteser

~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Shaft Tails ~ Plum Headed Finch Mutations ~ Masked Finches ~ Stars ~ Gloster Canaries ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Gloster Canaries

Post by lovezebs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:32 pm

The Maltese

I honestly don't know why they would sit at the bottom of the cage.
Normally birds who are well and healthy will only spend time at the bottom if they are foraging for food.

Although, I do have a Canary female (named Pokey), who does seem to enjoy spending time on the floor. There is nothing physically wrong with her. She can fly well, and perch fine, but tends to like poking around on the bottom (reminds me of a little chicken).
As I know next to nothing about Glosters, I can't really say if this is normal for them or not. Sorry... :-?? :-?? :-??
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:42 pm

The Maltese

How are the Glosters doing?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Glosters are indeed a little "slower", if compared with regular (non purebred) canaries.

But it is not normal to spend too much time on the cage's floor, i would check the perches (if they aren't too slippery), and the bird's feet and nails as well.

Try different perches, with different textures, positions and width.

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:23 pm

The Maltese, my canaries spend a lot of time on the ground in my aviary but, while there might not be any fighting going on, my guess is that your canaries are spending more time on the bottom of the cage to get away from the zebras. Zebs have a slightly (cough, cough) different temperament than canaries. :lol: Do you have a M/F pair of glosters?
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

The Maltese
Pip
Pip

Post by The Maltese » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:53 am

Hi Guys and Gals,

Everything in sorted :D They are now flying around and using the perches. Seems they just needed a few days to get used to the cage and their new pals.

Thank you all for youf feedback.

The Malteser

~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Shaft Tails ~ Plum Headed Finch Mutations ~ Masked Finches ~ Stars ~ Gloster Canaries ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:39 am

The Maltese

Excellent news!!!
~Elana~