F canary with M Gouldian?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Katiecheyenne
Pip
Pip

F canary with M Gouldian?

Post by Katiecheyenne » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:28 am

I can only have two birds, and I have a canary hen. I don't want any breeding, so would it be ok to put a male goulian with her? I don't want a male canary, they are too loud for me.

Zebrafincher
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Re: F canary with M Gouldian?

Post by Zebrafincher » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:12 am

Hi there,

I don't know if Gouldians can hybridise with canaries (be aware Canaries have been used to cross with a lot of different birds) but it may not stop them trying. Your female canary will still be able to nest and lay eggs, even if they aren't fertile, and thus runs the risk of getting egg bound. Some birds may get on, some won't - even of the same species. I guess you'd just need to see

Good luck

Zevrafincher

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: F canary with M Gouldian?

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Katiecheyenne

Hello, and welcome to the Forum from Canada.

Gouldians and Canaries, will not hybridize, and will be fine together.

They will not cuddle or snuggle together like some species, but they can co-exist quite peacefully together.

I have kept some of my Canaries and my Gouldians together for years, without any issues whatsoever.

Let us know how it goes, and post some pictures of your birdies (we would love to see them).

Good luck,
Attachments
IMG_20170420_122432.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~