! eggbound zebra finch can see egg emerging...?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
rayeast
Pip
Pip

! eggbound zebra finch can see egg emerging...?

Post by rayeast » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:55 pm

one of my zebra females Rose has been looking sick since this morning. She has been sitting on her perch very weak looking and still. I suspected she was eggbound because her rear area was mes and protruded. I makes her really afraid and crazy when I handle her, so I sprayed her underneath with warm mist and that promptedher to bathe in warm water , and now there is almost half of an egg protruding from her. what should i do?

i

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: ! eggbound zebra finch can see egg emerging...?

Post by lovezebs » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:20 pm

rayeast

Liquid calcium to the side of the beak.
Offer heat, a warm lamp in a warm steamy bathroom.

If you have some olive or coconut oil warm it up a tiny bit and apply with finger or q-tip right around the area where the air is strainiing to come out. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO BREAK THE EGG INSIDE OF HER.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

rayeast
Pip
Pip

Post by rayeast » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks so much for your advice. She passed the egg after about 15 minutes in the steam! She has not perked up much, but she is eating and drinking. (and made it through the night) I am concernd though, there must be some damage or something. I will call the vet--who was closed yesterday- and figure what do. Again, thanks!

i

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:47 pm

rayeast

You can def go and see your Vet.

My recommendation, would be, to keep her in a small cage with a warm lamp on one side, shade on the other. When they're feeling low, heat and light can work wonders.

Offer a nice luke warm bath, and some egg food, spray millet and a bit of greens.
Make certain to give her some crushed egg shells to up the Calcium. Personally, I would add a drop of Ecotrition Skin & Plumage (8 in 1).
It is a good source of Vit A, Vit D3, Vit E , Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Oleic Acid, Choline, and Inositol.

The oils in it (Soybeab, Cod Liver, Wheat Germ), help lubricate things a bit, and the Vit D3, will help her absorb the Calcium.

Good luck, and keep us updated :)
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

rayeast
Pip
Pip

Post by rayeast » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:21 pm

I called my vet and he told me pretty what much as you did. Rose looks a lot better and of course,
I am very pleased.! I bought some supplements and am reading and shopping online for more.

Thanks to you both......this forum has been so helpful.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:48 pm

rayeast

I'm very happy that your little Rosey chick is doing much better :D
Also happy, that I saved you a stressful trip to the Vet.

Keep a close eye on her, if you wish to breed her, as some little girlies are prone to eggbinding.

Oh, and watch not to over supplement either.
If one supplement has certain things in it, keep an eye not to use another product, that has the same stuff. More is not necessarily better, and can cause liver and or kidney damage.

Good luck, and best wishes.
~Elana~