Zebra and Bengalese together.

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
DextersMummy
Pip
Pip

Zebra and Bengalese together.

Post by DextersMummy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:08 am

Hi, im new and I must say this forum looks very welcoming and kind <3

My son who is 6 really wanted a pet birdie, after lots of thinking we decided to go for finches as I thought they would make a brilliant first little one for my Dexter.
We went to the petshop to choose and saw Bengalese finches, well I didn't even know there was such a thing and instantly hoped Dexter would choose one! and he did, along with a Zebra finch, the man in the store assured me that its fine to keep two of the birdies together and we happily went home.
We have a Hagen vision the smaller one and they seem happy and have room to hop and fly a little, but I feel bad :( they barely speak to each other :lol: they have their own language, of course, the Bengalese now named MEEP sings most of the day on his own and the Zebra COCONUT barely says a word 0_0, yet they are both eating loads and loads and seem happy enough, I wondered if I could get another zebra and another Bengalese but dont want to overcrowd the cage.....your thoughts would be appreciated!
Attachments
17884137_1835590456763937_8549996825826929766_n.jpg
17861848_1835590476763935_1397360094751439118_n.jpg

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Zebra and Bengalese together.

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:43 am

DextersMummy

Hi Dexter :-H :-H :-H and Dexter's Mommy :D
Welcome to the Finch Forum from Canada.

It looks like you have two boy birds by the sounds of things.
I can see that Coconut is a boy by his spots and the coloured cheeks, and I can tell Meep is a boy, because you told me that he sings, and it's only a boy Bengalese (aka Society Finch) who sing.

Now, let me tell you a little bit about the Zebra Finch and the Society Finch.

Zebra Finches, came from Australia ( the land of the Kangaroo) many many years ago, where many of them still live in the wild, just like Coconut's ancestors did for many thousands of years.

Bengalese aka Society Finches, have never lived in the wild. Many years ago, some people had different species of birds who lived together in a cage. These birds had egg babies together, and when these egg babies hatched, the Bengalese Finches were born. They are also called Society Finches, because they are very friendly, and love to cuddle together.

Both Zebra and Society Finches, need lots of room to fly, because that's how they exercise and keep in shape. Because they live in a cage and can't go to the gym, they have to have a cage that is large enough for them to be able to fly from side to side.
"Two" Finch boys like Meep and Coconut, need a cage at least 30 inches wide × 18 inches tall × 18 inches deep, and bigger and wider is much better. If they want to have more friends to live with them, they will need an even bigger cage. Mom, can check out cages at Petco.

Inside their cage home, Finches like to have swings which are their favorite toys. They don't really care too mych about other toys, so those are not important.

They also really don't like plastic furniture. So Dexter, take Mom for a walk, and collect some clean healthy tree branches about as thick as 'your' finger and use those for perches (apple tree branches are a favorite :-BD ). You can put two or three branches on either side of the cage, so that the boys can fly from side to side.

Seeing as you have two boys (and don't have to worry about eggs #-o ), you can give them a small nest, and some dry grass and little strips of newspaper and they will build up their nest, and sleep in it together.

Both boys, will really enjoy baths every day.
Get Mom to help you get a container with a bit of lukewarm water (not too deep, about half an inch or less) and, they will love having a bath (watch out though, they will splash you =)) ).

Both Coconut and Meep, need to eat a good diet of Finch seed, but did you know, that they also need to eat hard boiled eggs (for protein), and greens and veggies too? Kale, spinach, grated carrots, cucumber slices and broccoli are only a few veggies that they need and enjoy. They will also LOVE some spray millet for treats. They like clean fresh water every day too.

Well Dexter, I hope you enjoy your birdies, and if you have any questions, get Mom to send me a not on here.

Oh, and here are some pictures of some of my birds just for you :D
Attachments
IMG_20170325_231040.jpg
IMG_20170325_204122.jpg
20170219_174523.jpg
20160407_144910.jpg
20140901_170154-1.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:58 pm

DextersMummy You've already gotten loads of good advice from lovezebs, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care. If you put your general location in your profile, it will help members direct you to good places to get supplies, etc.

Lovely boys you have there!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:00 pm

They will eventually form a friendship, but it will take time as, as you said, they have to learn to speak each other's language. Their vocalizations are different but behaviorally the two are pretty similar and highly social birds which naturally form monogamous partnerships. Without others of their kind, they will eventually accept each other and bond.
~Dylan

~~~

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:32 pm

Pretty birds! Be sure to place natural perches up high and at each end of the cage. As Lovezebs advised, they will need a large cage for flight. Maybe remove the toys. Try to keep their environment as natural as possible. Good luck with your new birds!