New Society finch-two questions

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

New Society finch-two questions

Post by Millenia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:36 am

I recently purchased two pairs of Society Finches. When I got them home I noticed one finch seems to be quite a bit older than the others but I'm basing that on the fact that he seems to be taking longer to adjust and the fact he had really REALLY long nails. To the point he didn't look like he could perch properly and they kept getting snagged in everything. My son helped me and we trimmed his nails and he's now having to adjust to a different way of gripping the perches. It's almost like his toes don't bend around the perches because they're not used to it. I keep expecting him to fall off but he hasn't. He came from a pet shop and I'm wondering if they just kept adding new young birds to the cage and he's been in there a while. His color is a beautiful chocolate brown with the scalloped breast. The other one I got from there seems very young and maybe barely out of diapers. I don't know yet male or female on these two so I'm just guessing for now.

First question, do you always have to trim their nails or will they wear down on their own once he has more room and more variety of perches to sit on? I have an outdoor flight aviary that has sat empty for many years and I plan to get it up and running soon.

Second question, his beak is solid black. Every photo I've seen shows them with a pinkish looking bottom beak but his is dark on top and bottom. What's up with that?

I've been devouring this forum. So much information. I love these little guys and hope I can keep them healthy. I never realized Society finches are so fun and so melodious. One pair has already started happily setting up house and he sings his little heart out to her.

Thanks,
Millenia

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Re: New Society finch-two questions

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:53 am

I think that you might have a spicy finch.

Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Millenia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:20 am

Well now I have to go look up spice finch. Whoops.

Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Millenia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:53 am

So I guess I should edit my original post to say I purchased 3 society finches and a spice finch... No wonder he doesn't seem as happy as the rest of them.

Now I'm really out of balance. I like even numbers. I have one zebra finch, one spice finch, and 3 society finches. This will drive me crazy until I even them up. Will they all get along?

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:32 pm

:lol:

Yes, no problem among the Lonchuras, societies and spices will even easely hybridize if given a chance.

Zebras on the other hand can sometimes be agressive towards other finches or their own kind, especially during breeding process, so, i would watch it.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Your birds should be fine. The spice will buddy up with a society - they're very close relatives and get along well. They can mate though, so watch out if hybrid babies aren't appealing to you.

The zebra will probably get along fine in the group, but watch it doesn't get aggressive. It would appreciate a mate of its own kind but without one is likely to eventually bond with one or more of the other birds.
~Dylan

~~~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:08 pm

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many good articles on finch care. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to direct you to the best places to get supplies, etc.

Too bad that pet shop didn't know what they had. The Spice finch might have had overgrown nails simply because no one had trimmed him in a while. Society finches usually don't have a problem with overgrown nails.

As far as the Zebra finch, I'd definitely think twice about getting another Zebra finch for him, especially if you wanted a male/female pair. With a mate, he could become very territorial and aggressive.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Millenia » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:08 am

Sally wrote: Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at http://www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many good articles on finch care. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to direct you to the best places to get supplies, etc.

Too bad that pet shop didn't know what they had. The Spice finch might have had overgrown nails simply because no one had trimmed him in a while. Society finches usually don't have a problem with overgrown nails.

As far as the Zebra finch, I'd definitely think twice about getting another Zebra finch for him, especially if you wanted a male/female pair. With a mate, he could become very territorial and aggressive.
Thanks. I added my state to my profile.

They had lots of finches crammed into a way too small cage and I just wanted to buy them all. The girl really didn't know what they were at all and I was the one who assumed they were all society finches. Now I'm wondering what else may be in that cage. I went in looking for zebra finches but they had them way too expensive in my opinion.

I'm going to go back in there and look again now that I know there are at least two different kinds in that cage. I have room for lots more birds outside.

My outdoor flight cage is pretty big so I don't think a few zebras will be too harrassing to the rest of the finches. It's round with an old black satellite dish as the top so whatever the diameter of those were, 10 or 12 feet I think. It's about 10 or 12 feet tall. We used to keep pigeons and doves in it years ago and it's still set up pretty nice I just need to make sure it's still secure before putting my finches in there and I want to build them a good shelter that will suit their needs.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:18 am

Millenia

Hi Millenia, and welcome to the Forum from Canada.

I keep Societies and Zebras together, without any major issues. I also have a Cutthroat male, a Diamond Firetail, and a Shaftail male with them, and they all cuddle up together, snuggle into nests and do well.

I think you shouldn't have any problems.

Enjoy the Forum, and enjoy your burdies :D .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:50 pm

Space is the key, put zebras and societies in a small cage and you will have a murder scene.

But with a aviary that big they would get along just fine.