Location, location, location . . .

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Location, location, location . . .

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:07 pm

Tigg

Hey Tigg,

How 'bout one of these in your bay window instead of the buffet.....

Buddha, wouldn't mind..... ;)) ;)) ;))

https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Products- ... B000BQU2R4
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:08 pm

Tigg

I had misunderstood you earlier, I thought you were going to attach two cages on the sides, doubling their length, not height.
I had done that, but not what you are planning.
Joining them your way would be pointless here as cages with same length and width but double the height are available for less than double the price.
If you can't get those, you could join them your way, though it would mean the little extra difficulty of having to cover the gap where the tray of the upoer cage should come out.

Tigg
Pip
Pip

Post by Tigg » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:03 am

Hey, if you or anyone has a line on a cage that'd run about 30 wide by 36ish tall, let me know.

The couple of serious options I've found are attached to a stand and don't come separate.

I just finally gave up, but if somebody knows of one . . .

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:43 am

Tigg

These are only $50 a piece. Free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flyline-Bird-Fl ... GPIFOoDB9Q

Looks just like the same cage you were contemplating.

Tigg
Pip
Pip

Post by Tigg » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:58 am

I did find this one on eBay - a solid contender:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310854003071?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:27 am

~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:30 am

Tigg

I love those. I have two of those I am converting to a double flight.

And two units that are the same style that are already double flights.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:42 am

https://www.amazon.ca/Vision-Bird-Cage- ... arge+cages

There are also these and the sets of 4's below which are larger, but you have to order 4 :(

https://www.amazon.ca/YML-Medium-Breedi ... F118JR59Q9
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:50 am

One of mine:

https://postimg.io/image/5cxmab0yt/

Available right now in the shop ca 100 mtrs from me for about $30, but I guess that helps you little besides showing that they do exist.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:43 pm

w.l.

What are the dimensions of this cage w.I?

It looks similar in size to my 76.2 x 91.44 cm, which I attach 2 side to side for more flight room.

Yea, they are quite a bit more expensive here, and you usually have to order them on line in sets of 4's.

A quick question: Are those metal rods in the cage? I can't see it clearly enough to make them out.
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:03 pm

lovezebs

75x45x90 cm or so.

No metal rods. What you see might be the metal frame shelf it is placed on?

I like this size a lot.
Taller than long, but not too much, so birds can make good use of all space.

Also available are 75x45x150 cm ones that I only bought for sugar gliders and flying squirrels and which are frankly impractical for birds.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:22 pm

w.l.

So, very close in size really.
It is a nice size, but impossible to find here, unless you order them in.

I do like them doubled up lengthwise though, making them 152.4 long, which actually allows for a bit of flight. I have considered adding another two on to top, making it into a 152.4 length, by 182.88 height, but I think it would become too unstable unless I attach it to the wall on top, and moving it would become a 2 person job [-X .
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:27 pm

lovezebs

Now you just have to tell Tigg where to order it and for how much.
How many birds do you keep in such a double cage?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:45 pm

w.l.

Too many, ( Zebras and Societies), which means you practically have to clean it twice a day to keep in decent shape. That's why I need to either make it bigger, or get to work on my free flight room (once I get the ok from the doctor about my stupid finger :-BD )
~Elana~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Tigg

Those Petco cages are fine for what they are, but not sturdy enough to stack that way. I'm not even sure it's possible. As I recall, the bottom is not removable without collapsing the cage. Plus I'm pretty sure you're left with a gap where the tray used to slide in (for the cage on top, as you would naturally also have to remove the tray).

A better option would be to just get a larger flight to start with. I have the Prevue F040 flight cage, currently on sale for $100 on Amazon.

I see the Petco cages are on sale right now for $37.50 each - while the Prevue cages will cost you $25 more, Its just far more convenient and way way WAY sturdier. It's a better cage, well worth the additional $25 expense. And, should you ever really get the bug, you can buy another one later and attach it to the first and have a 5' flight cage, LOL! (That's what I did with mine)

As far as spraying water and seed hulls - I hang a sheet over the back of the cage to protect the wall. I have never found poop outside their cage, not even the parakeets do that - but they do shed feathers and seed hulls, and when I give the finches their bath, they do spray that around. The sheet catches the vast majority of anything like that, then I just take the sheet off and wash it once in awhile. The seed hulls do not go to far afield, I just vacuum that up with a handheld vacuum once in awhile. I have a Prevue F070/F075 (whichever one does NOT have the stand) that sits in a large garden tray which catches 95% of any scattered seed.

I got the garden tray from GreenhouseMegastore for $15. If you stick with a 30x18x18 cage that might be a useful item for you.

For some reason the seed scatter is less in the dual F040 setup than it is in the F070/F075. That may just be a difference in the birds - I've got my parakeets in the F040s and they don't actually get a lot of seed by itself anymore since I got them switched to a lotsa-greens and bird bread diet. They are now 80% fresh veggies and 20% seed instead of their previous 100% seed diet, so there is less seed from which to scatter hulls - plus about half what I give them is hulled and sprouted seed from Trader Joe's, so ... even fewer chances to scatter hulls outside the cage. The feathers though - they go EVERYWHERE, LOL!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.