Separate or not

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Separate or not

Post by Millenia » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:34 am

Here's my new little rainbow of finches. The first night three slept on top of the nest. The second night the male society slept in the nest with the female and zebra on top. The third night male and female society slept in the nest with zebra and extra society on top. The fourth night the zebra joined the nest. The fifth night the other society slept with them. And last night the spice finch finally joined the party so they are now one big happy family. The zebra and two societies came from Petsmart and the Spice and another society came from a local pet shop.

The pair of societies built that nest and worked diligently on it until the rest decided to join the party. If they lay eggs, should I remove everybody else or leave them all in there to sleep at night? It's funny that he defends his nest during the day but at night they all pile in. I don't mind them having babies. I'm just trying to get them to take egg food. At least they will pick seeds out of the eggs but so far I've only seen the zebra actually eat a piece of spinach.

I saw them with pellets at Petsmart so thought I was buying what they were eating. I haven't seen anybody pick up a pellet yet. They pick the seeds out of them.

My spice finch has chirped but I haven't seen it sing so I'm thinking girl? The zebra has been really singing to all of them. He seems quite content to hang with the societies and the spice finch. Maybe I won't get him a partner after all. I think the extra society finch is a female as well. You can't really see her as she's on top of the nest. The paired up female is inside the nest. I have seen them breeding and she was very amenable to it. He sings his little heart out to her.

I'm still working out my feeding regimen but thanks for this wonderful site. I had finches years ago but it was so difficult to find good information on them. Now I feel like I'll be able to keep them alive and healthy with this wealth of info.

Millenia
Attachments
birds3.jpg
birds3.jpg (43.28 KiB) Viewed 1367 times

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Separate or not

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Millenia

Personally, I would get another Socie, for your lonely one. Then the two Societies, will have each other, and the Zebra and Spice will form a close bond together.

Glad to hear that they are busy nest building. You could supply another nest or two, to offer them some choices.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:45 pm

Millenia

I think all your species can and will interbreed, so you may end up with some hybrids. Cute family! Welcome to the forum!

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:04 pm

If all of them sleep at the same nest at night, there is a possibility for broken eggs or smashed chicks, i would provide them with another nest, as Elana said.

Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Millenia » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:54 pm

Okay, I added another nest on the other side. Zebra Spice are already checking it out. The little socie girl is hanging with the other two societies. The bonded female is spending a lot of time in her nest. No eggs but I guess she's getting her mind right.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Millenia

You def need another Socie, and another nest, lol.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Millenia » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:58 pm

lovezebs

As suggested, I tried adding another nest and they all still pile into the original at night. I tried adding some grass to the new nest to give them the idea and they promptly moved it into the original nest. The new nest was completely empty by the time I got home from work that afternoon.

This afternoon I found an egg in the original nest. Mom and dad had both been sitting in the nest before I disturbed them by changing water, etc. They've been doing that a lot so I didn't realize they had an egg in there yet. It wasn't there this morning.

So now my question is, should I remove the other three? Or at least the zebra and spice finch? The third socie seems to want to help and she sits in there with the other female and hangs out when the male isn't in there, and sometimes even when he is. Should I leaver her with them if I remove the other two?

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:16 pm

I have never had a situation like this, but i think that five butts are a lot of weight over the eggs, and the future new hatchlings, plus, as the babies aren't theirs, there is the possibility of the zebra and spice toss them.

Personally, it would be better to let only the three societies in the cage.

But let's wait for more opinions.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:45 pm

If you want breeding to be successful, definitely remove the extra birds - all three of them, I'd say.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:19 pm

Millenia

Too many birds in one small nest is not the ideal situation for hatching and raising babies.

I'd grab the Zebra and Spice out of there .

Just my opinion.
~Elana~

Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Millenia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:15 am

lovezebs

Thanks everyone. I will remove the zebra and spice finch for sure then. The extra society female looks like she's decided to sit on this egg. I'll leave her in there for now. I couldn't check the egg this morning because she was sitting tight and determined not to move. For all I know she's the one who laid it.

Interestingly the spice finch did not spend the night with them last night. I'm not sure if that was their idea or hers. She slept on top of the nest by herself.

It looks like I better speed up my prep of the outdoor aviary.

Millenia

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:40 am

Millenia

You may end up with eggs from both Socie hens in that nest, so I would keep a close watch on any babies that hatch, to make sure that they don't breed together in the future.
~Elana~

Millenia
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Millenia » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:03 am

lovezebs

Last night neither the spice or zebra finch slept in the nest. It appears they've been evicted now that two eggs have been laid. I have a small cage I can put them in if I need to but would rather not if it can be helped. As long as they are staying out of the nest I think I have at least until these eggs hatch, if they hatch, before I have to worry about moving them.

I've only seen the male society mating with the one female but I suppose that's no guarantee it hasn't happened with both.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:13 pm

Millenia

Good morning

If these two are not bothering the nest or the occupents, then I wouldn't worry about them.

I guess the Societies put their foot down, lol.
~Elana~