Indoor Aviary for a pair of softbills

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Christian
Nestling
Nestling

Indoor Aviary for a pair of softbills

Post by Christian » Fri May 05, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi. I've been dabbling with birds for a number of years. Now I finally have the space to get more involved. I'm currently raising fife canaries. They are an absolute joy to watch and listen to. One thing I make sure is not to let this hobby get out of control. It can grow very quickly, and becomes more work than fun. Although the work is part of the enjoyment. I've seen so many breeders have tons of birds, but I'm more of a minimalist. Quality not quantity. I learned an important lesson years ago about being a responsible care taker. If you dont take care of yourself, your birds will suffer. I went thru a job loss, personal issues. The result was that all my birds died. It was a horrible experience, that to this day, makes me sick to my stomach. Personal health is paramount. Now that I've learned to take care of myself, my hobby is rewarding me. A second chance. I have a room that is not used for anything. Has tons of south facing windows, pluming and a large drain. A section of the room is sectioned off perfectly for an aviary. And most importantly, makes it easier to maintain and keep clean. I'm still in the very early planning stages. It will have potted small trees/plants to provide a nice habitat. A mister. And proper running water and good drainage. Of course good ventilation to control humidity which grows mold etc. Again easy access to keep clean with less hassle. And birds, even just a couple, can make a room smell. So proper disposal of food waste and poop must be kept under control. I bit of missing food can stink up everything! Ever smell a goldfish if you don't clean the tank. That's just the start. I may sound like if got things planned out. But (I think) it will require a few dress rehearsals before getting my pair of birds. You really can't skimp on cleanliness. Trying to figure out how to make things easier on myself. Plus vacations are out of the question. Thankfully I like being home. Not sure yet what softbill to get. I would sure appreciate any insight, tips and no nos on keeping an indoor aviary. Suppliers too. Maybe an aviary is a bad idea. Im still just giving it thought. Thanks much.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Indoor Aviary for a pair of softbills

Post by w.l. » Fri May 05, 2017 12:34 pm

The type of aviary you are describing would be wonderful home for a pair of birds.
However, if you are so concerned about dirt and smell, you might not really want live birds after all.
Especially softbills, whose poo is softer, smellier and comes in bigger amounts.
You should first decide if you can live with some dirt and smell and noise produced before starting to think of what species to get.

Christian
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Christian » Fri May 05, 2017 12:44 pm

I may have sounded a bit too clean. My canaries and their egg food does get an odor. I should have said that its good not to become neglectful. A good routine. I'm certainly not afraid of getting my hands dirty. Poop doesn't bother me. I work in a nursing home. I just recall a lady who had a room full of parrots and small birds in her greenhouse. The dander was so bad, you couldn't breath. Cages where stacked. I kid you not! Macaws, greys, budgies........greenhouse wasn't very big. She said she's got too many birds. Yet complains that she can't get her parrots to breed. This woman was messed up. My wife can testify to that experience.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Fri May 05, 2017 12:58 pm

If you haven't even got an idea what species you want, why choose softbills?
They are harder and more expensive to buy and tend to be messier than finches. In a big aviary they can scatter their poo all over, making thorough cleaning difficult.
If still keen, my favourite softbills are the white-eyes, which are also considered good beginners' softbills, and due to their small size produce less poo than say mynahs. Beware of species that have special dietary requirements. I find fruit-eaters easiest to feed and keep healthy.

Christian
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Christian » Fri May 05, 2017 1:06 pm

Point well taken.

Christian
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Christian » Fri May 05, 2017 1:10 pm

Maybe softbill is not a good choice for me. That's why I appreciate the input.

Christian
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Christian » Fri May 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Can you think of a reliable, US online retailer of birds. One with the largest selection. I know there is the finch farm. Bird express hardly ever has anything in stock.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Fri May 05, 2017 1:17 pm

I am not in the US so others living there should know the local traders better.
Mind you, I think both Bird Express and the Finch Farm have great selection.
And if buying only one pair of birds, you don't need a huge selection anyway.

Christian
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Christian » Fri May 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Maybe I should stick with my fife canaries. They're adorable and always sing

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri May 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Christian

Welcome to the Forum.

It sounds like you still have quite a bit of thinking to do before making any decisions.

An aviary which you describe, sounds wonderful, but live plants get eaten, water systems get fouled up, decorations get pooped on on a regular basis...are you starting to get the picture?

If you seriously want such an area with birds in there, why not house your fifes in there? I am quite certain that they would love it.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Christian
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Christian » Fri May 05, 2017 6:14 pm

Your right, I think I'll stick with one species, my fifes. Besides, I've got four eggs ready to hatch any day now. Plenty to keep me busy. Thanks for your thoughts.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun May 07, 2017 4:35 pm

Christian

You're very welcome.
Would you happen to have any pictures of your fifes?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~