hatchilng eggs

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
karenstr
Hatchling
Hatchling

hatchilng eggs

Post by karenstr » Thu May 25, 2017 3:34 am

my gouldian finch has 9 eggs at the moment in the nest i think 2 of them are old.. is it possible for her to hatch all the other eggs? i dont even think her body can cover so many eggs .. has anyone had more than 6 babies?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: hatchilng eggs

Post by lovezebs » Thu May 25, 2017 7:31 am

Are all these eggs fertile?

If they are, then between the two parents, they should be able to handle their growing family.

I would make sure to offer mountains of hardboiled eggs, so that they never get it into their heads that there isn't enough food to feed all the chicks that do hatch.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

karenstr
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by karenstr » Thu May 25, 2017 9:27 am

thank you :) the female doesnt allow the male on the nest only when theyre ready to fledge then he starts feeding them :) really hope she manage :) i just thought with her alone breeding she might not be able to sit and cover all the eggs but lets see

karenstr
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by karenstr » Thu May 25, 2017 9:29 am

oh and this female looks like shes loosing feathers on her head.. at first i thought she was going through a molt but might the breeding cause this? loss of feathers on her head?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu May 25, 2017 9:53 am

Some Gouldians, particularly females tend to lose feathers around their heads.

Some people say that its genetics, some people say that it's due to lack of iodine in their diet.

Hopefully with a good diet, containing eggs, egg shells, greens, a good seed mix, some fortified bird grit, and some extra vitamins, she'll grow a full head of feathers when she next molts.

Regarding covering all the eggs, lol, they somehow manage :shock: so I wouldn't worry.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

karenstr
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by karenstr » Thu May 25, 2017 2:02 pm

ok :) i hope she gets her feathers back atm i give them seed .. eggfood, boiled eggs sometimes.. mineral grit and oystershell grit mix they have a cuttlebone and also sunburst leavy greens oh and millet spray lol what other vitamins can i give them? in the water? what greens do they like? i give them the sunburst leavy greens which they eat but they dont like broccoli ect..