Gouldian finch with 'shoebill'

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Gouldian finch with 'shoebill'

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Stine

I would trim that beak a bit.

I wonder if they're having a problem eating with the shape of that beak.

Sorry about the little one you lost :(
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Shannylee

It makes me sick when people are so greedy that they will sell birds that young, grrrr.

Some people actually try and sell baby Goulds with the mouth nodules still there. I mean how blooming greedy can you be, that you can't hang on to them until they're ready to go? but for some folks it's all about getting the $ in their pocket, and getting their pair back in the nest.

It's like selling puppies and kittens when they're 4 or 5 weeks old. It's just wrong!
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

hanabi
Mature
Mature

Post by hanabi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:59 pm

wildbird wrote: A flash could damage their eyes.
Interesting. Do you have any hard evidence that a camera flash can damage the eyes of finches, or birds in general? I know that a flash can scare birds, resulting in injuries from collisions, but I have never heard of eye damage.

This article states what I had already assumed: flashes cause no damage, but can cause a temporary reduction in vision (as occurs in humans too):

Flash Photography and the Visual System of Birds and Animals

Cheers,

Ross
Ross at Lake Biwa, Japan
African Silverbill, Chestnut-Breasted Munia, Common Waxbill, Diamond Finch, Forbes Parrotfinch, Gold-Breasted Waxbill, Gouldian Finch, Masked Finch, Owl Finch, Painted Firetail Finch, Pintailed Parrotfinch, Plumhead Finch, Red-Billed Firefinch, Red-browed Firetail Finch, Scaly-Breasted Munia, Self Society Finch, Star Finch.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:31 pm

Hanabi, common sense. How would you know, so why take the chance. You can't go back & change it.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:10 pm

hanabi wildbird

Hi Ross,

Interesting article.

I've used a flash in dark nests with nestlings, without any adverse effects. The nestlings grew up without any discernible visual impairment .

Of course I don't stand there flashing them numerous times on a daily basis, just an occasional snapshot to see how they are doing, and if all is well in the nest.

I've often wondered about the effect on the eyes of celebs, royals, etc. with the continous flashing of paparazzi cameras in their faces day in an day out.
~Elana~

hanabi
Mature
Mature

Post by hanabi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:20 pm

wildbird

Thanks for the reply. There are a lot of inexperienced aviculturist, like myself I might add, who come to forums like this to learn, and as such we need to be careful that posters (including myself) don't inadvertently present opinions as facts.

My common sense suggested to me that what you said, that a camera flash could damage a bird's eyes, sounded incorrect, so that is why I queried your comment. So I take it you don't have any evidence that a flash damages a bird's eyes? Did you read the article I linked to? If you think you have damaged your birds' eyes by using a camera flash it would be most helpful to all here if you could give us some details.

Thanks.

Ross
Ross at Lake Biwa, Japan
African Silverbill, Chestnut-Breasted Munia, Common Waxbill, Diamond Finch, Forbes Parrotfinch, Gold-Breasted Waxbill, Gouldian Finch, Masked Finch, Owl Finch, Painted Firetail Finch, Pintailed Parrotfinch, Plumhead Finch, Red-Billed Firefinch, Red-browed Firetail Finch, Scaly-Breasted Munia, Self Society Finch, Star Finch.

hanabi
Mature
Mature

Post by hanabi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Stine

I once had a Society finch with a very similar beak anomaly when purchased:

You can see a larger image here:
Beak protrusion

I placed him in my outdoor aviary and after about a month I happened to notice that his beak was completely normal. I assume the protrusion fell off but it may have simply grown out over time. In any case I wouldn't worry too much about it assuming he/she can eat normally.

Cheers,

Ross
Ross at Lake Biwa, Japan

hanabi
Mature
Mature

Post by hanabi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:49 pm

lovezebs

Hi Elana!

Hijacking the thread here a little (sorry Stine). I hope you are enjoying early summer over there (up there? :) ). How are your Lavenders going? Any success at breeding? Perhaps you can give us an update in another thread.

Anyone who views my finch website will see that I do a lot of photography of my finches, mostly close-ups, so the comment regarding flash photography really concerned me. I usually don't use a flash anyway as it can scare birds, but sometimes I have had to use a flash (yes, in the case of nesting chicks etc.) and it would leave me gutted to know that I had harmed my birds in some way. Fortunately it would appear that flashes don't harm the eyes of animals.

Cheers,

Ross
Ross at Lake Biwa, Japan

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:15 am

hanabi

Hey Ross,

Would like to see your Finch site, where can I find it?

So far nothing with the Lavenders , or any waxbills for that matter of fact :(

The Gouldians however, are making up for lost time, and there are three pretty Chocolate self Socie babies all cozy in a nest (surprise babies), plus little Porky... but that's another thread on the Forum, if you want to find out about little Porky Pie :D the miracle baby.

Summer is hit and miss over here so far, lol.....sun, rain, wind, and repeat...and repeat... and repeat :roll:

How are your feathered kids doing?
Haven't heared much from you lately.
~Elana~

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Back to the topic of young Gouldians sold, I wonder what makes this species so delicate at that age.
I have several times bought pintailed parrotfinches, a species quite similar and usually considered very delicate, at the age when young males were still uncolored and some even still had their white gapes, and all have survived with proper care.
And they were even wild-caught, meaning they must have gone through more stress than captive-bred Gouldians.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:54 pm

w.l.

Not sure about the Pintails, but some Gouldians have a really rough time with their first molt.

I have had some bought youngsters breeze through their first molt, while others died, and I'm not sure what caused them to die. Same good, diet, same conditionds and environment. Personally I believe that it has something to do with genetics or with their immune system possibly not being fully developed.

The same can be said for adult Gouldians in molt.
Some go through it easily enough, others tend to get stuck, go bald and really struggle during this period.

What makes one look like this?
1429809421871.jpg
And one look like this, after several weeks of molting:
20170416_192033.jpg
Same diet, same flight cage, same conditions exactly
~Elana~