Do my two gouldians need companions?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
codette
Pip
Pip

Do my two gouldians need companions?

Post by codette » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Hello all!

I just discovered and joined this community today. I've had three cockatiels but am new to finches.

I've recently taken in a pair of lady blue gouldians from someone who didn't want them anymore because they weren't hatching their eggs. For about 2 years he had 2 pairs in the cage (40 inches wide, 40 inches tall, 18 inches deep). One bird died quite a while ago, and another died around Christmas.

I took in the remaining two a couple of months ago. They went from a fairly dark, very noisy house full of dogs and people to my bright, quiet bedroom, with partial access to look out a window. They seem very comfortable, but I wonder if they miss the excitement of the other house. I leave the radio on, and they are babysat (harassed?) by a cat who is completely enamored with them, but otherwise they spend the day alone.

Side note: They are bonded and I thought they were a breeding pair, but just this morning I noticed the one I thought was female has begun to sing. Surprise!

My question is whether they would be better off with an additional pair for companionship, and if that would be a bit tight in their current cage? (40" x 40" x 18")

What breeds would be the best companions for gouldians? I don't want to buy more birds--I'd prefer to adopt--but the only breeds I can find for adoption are zebras (no) and societies (maybe?) and the occasional unidentified mystery birds.

What about non-finches? A canary or two?

In the future I hope to have a home with enough space to build a large flight and perhaps even an outdoor one for summer, but for now the 40" cage is the best I can do. We do have an additional cage of the same size, so I could combine them one day for either an 80" long span OR a 36" deep cube.

Thank you!!
Attachments
Finches.png
Finches.png (190.43 KiB) Viewed 997 times
cage.png
cage.png (119.27 KiB) Viewed 997 times

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Do my two gouldians need companions?

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:56 pm

codette

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

How lucky for them and lucky for you to have found each other :D .

If both birds are singing, then both birds are males, no wonder they wouldn't breed for your friend, lol. Oh, and by the way, it's not advisable to breed Blue to Blue anyway.

Your cage is a nice size, and your two new feathered friends are probably heaving a sigh of relief to be away from the noise and the darknes of their former home. Gouldians are gentle, quiet birds normally, and enjoy peace and quiet.

Now regarding companions...

You could add another two Gouldians, or even a Canary or a couple of Societies.

For heaven's sake, don't put Zebras in with Gouldians. Zebras (although I have an army of them and am rather fond of the little demons), are aggressive and territorial and would drive your poor Gouldies into an ealy grave.

Regarding adding to the cage, I would make it longer, rather than taller, as finches like to exercise flying from side to side.

Good luck and enjoy your Gouldi's.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:04 pm

They will be perfectly happy with just the 2 of them. Cage looks great.
You definitely have 2 males there. Adding a couple henna could be done but keep in mind they may fight for territory if they want to go to nest.

Best of luck
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

the_gouldian_guy
Pip
Pip

Post by the_gouldian_guy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:20 pm

As Debbie said, it looks like you have two males. I would be hesitant to introduce females unless you have an additional cage if it doesn't work out. While gouldians are generally very peaceful a lot depends on the individual bird.

I would be careful introducing society finches unless you know they are clear of campylobacter and cochlosoma which societies can carry without symptoms, but can kill gouldians. Very nice birds! Good luck!

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:58 am

I would never mix Goulds and Zebras. Zebras may pick on them.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Welcome to the forum! As others have said, I wouldn`t mix gouldians with zebras. Societies would do nicely though.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny