Six Eggs in the Nest

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Mike_B
Pip
Pip

Re: Six Eggs in the Nest

Post by Mike_B » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:07 am

The two chicks have left the nest for brief periods but then gone right back in - perhaps because they're not sure about being fed otherwise?

Mike_B
Pip
Pip

Post by Mike_B » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:30 am

The two chicks (pictured below) can feed themselves now and since the parents seemed anxious to have more babies, I placed four fake finch eggs in the nest box and then had to take out one real egg for three straight days. How soon (if ever) should I remove the nest box and is the cage size (30" x 18" x 18") sufficient to house four zebra finches for the long term?
IMG_2511.JPG

rsrj317
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by rsrj317 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:31 am

Sunday should be the start of hatching for my 3 nests. 6 in one, 4 and 4. My first hatching 8 wks ago was fun to watch. Out of 2 nests I had 6 hatchings but one chick did not survive the leaving of the nest. I'll keep you'al posted.
Monica
Cockatiel(Iszy) 5 nesting zebras(pied, norms, white/fawn, black face)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Mike_B

Sometimes the youngest hatchlings die, as the parents tend to feed the biggest and loudest chicks first, with the smallest ones losing the battle.

Fledging day is exciting, so keep your eyes open for these two youngsters jumping the nest when they're ready.

The parents will continue to feed them until they wean.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Mike_B
Pip
Pip

Post by Mike_B » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:49 pm

The chicks seem to be spending a lot of time perched on top of the nest while one or the other of their parents sits on the fake eggs - any explanation for that?