New finch owner, I have a few questions!

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
TinyFinches
Pip
Pip

New finch owner, I have a few questions!

Post by TinyFinches » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:11 pm

I got a zebra finch male, and I'm getting another Saturday. However, if I wanted to get another type of finch could I house them with him? Would a canary be an ok companion for him? What other birds would be ok to keep him company?
I can only have 2 finches, so I don't want breeding and that's why I was wondering about a finch he can't make babies with or another male zebra. I'm such a newbie, please excuse me!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: New finch owner, I have a few questions!

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:40 pm

TinyFinches

Two male Zebras should be ok, although they might have a few arguments now and again.

Zebra Finches, are difficult to pair up with other Finches, because they tend to be aggressive and territorial.

You could try a male Society Finch, but just in case it doesn't work out, make sure you can return him to the store, or exchange him.

A Canary and a Zebra are not a good mix.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

TinyFinches
Pip
Pip

Post by TinyFinches » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:45 pm

Thank you! I'll have to keep reading on this subject.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:42 pm

TinyFinches Yes, Zebra finches are difficult to team up with other finches. As lovezebs said, perhaps a male Society will work, but it is not guaranteed. Another male Zebra sometimes will work, but sometimes they will not get along at all.

Welcome to the forum! Don't worry about being a newbie, we all started out as newbies! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to help you.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

TinyFinches
Pip
Pip

Post by TinyFinches » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:15 pm

The finch was kept with other males and a society. I guess he's actually a hybrid with a zebra/society combo Would that make a difference in his care?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:03 pm

TinyFinches

If he was kept with other Zebra males, and with a Society, then that shows that he probably will be able to function well with another Zebra or Socie, maybe even an Owl Finch... in fact, if he was living with others, then he's probaly pretty lonesome on his own.

I know that you did mention a Canary as a possible choice.

The reasons I X-ed that idea, was because I had Canary and Zebras living together. The Zebra was annoying, got into trouble, and the Canary almost killed him.

Plus Zebras are snuggling birds, who like to cuddle together and preen each other. Canaries are in no way appreciative of this behaviour.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:39 am

yeah i would go with a zeeb male, or society for your little friend@TinyFinches . You could do an owl, but they are much more expensive (around $70-80 i believe).
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny