PLANTS SUITABLE FOR CANARIES

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

PLANTS SUITABLE FOR CANARIES

Post by mick1933 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi again. When I finish setting up my aviary I would like to have a lot of real plants in it. I have been told that canaries tend to demolish plants. Does anyone know what plants would be suitable for the canaries I want to put in my aviary that wouldn't be destroyed by the canaries. I want my aviary to be really nice to look at but as I am 84 years old I have to make sure I don't make too much work for myself to handle.

Thanks Mick1933.
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: PLANTS SUITABLE FOR CANARIES

Post by lovezebs » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:11 pm

Hello again,

Canaries and plants can be something of a problem, seeing as they do tend to want to eat everything, and they will damage live greenery.

Have you considered maybe puting artificial greenery in the actual aviary, with live trees, shrubs and flowers around the top and the outside? That way, you will have the best of both worlds; live plants that will stay alive, and fake ones that can be switched out and replaced or washed when needed.

Here's a video of an aviary where they seemed to have incorporated both, by dividing the area into two sections, one for birds, one for people, but maintainance could be an issue.

https://youtu.be/AvgusAC7DUU
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi Mike from Massachusetts, :wave:

84 bless your heart !! Elana has a very good idea artificial greenery and flowers are much easier to maintain and always look nice !! That was a great video !!!
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:30 am

I would agree with fake greenery or none. An alternative is to have potted plants which you move in and replace once they have been demolished as unfortunately that is exactly what canaries do.

I have an outdoor fully planted aviary, ONE canary later and he basically removed all the leaves off all the shrubbery and then started on the grasses. Even my weavers do less damage.
So I'm afraid you may be quite restricted with canaries and greenery together.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:05 pm

Plants outside of the aviary can help make it look like you have plants in the aviary.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Canary
Pip
Pip

Post by Canary » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:10 am

mick1933 wrote: Hi again. When I finish setting up my aviary I would like to have a lot of real plants in it. I have been told that canaries tend to demolish plants. Does anyone know what plants would be suitable for the canaries I want to put in my aviary that wouldn't be destroyed by the canaries. I want my aviary to be really nice to look at but as I am 84 years old I have to make sure I don't make too much work for myself to handle.

Thanks Mick1933.
Hello Mick. I agree that canaries will demolish live greenery. I have 30 im my aviary at the moment and no greenery because they ate it all. Ha ha.
I would go artificial if you would like to green up the aviary.
Ceri.
Ceri. Wales Uk.