Can I feed this to my finches?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
TheMadGirl
Pip
Pip

Can I feed this to my finches?

Post by TheMadGirl » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Good afternoon,

I rescued two couple of finches two weeks ago, from a friend who couldn't keep them anymore, it's a couple of zebra finches and a couple of society finches.
This was very urgent and I didn't had time to buy anything for the birds and so I only got my order for them 2 days ago, as I live far away from the city, I have to buy things online and that's the only option I have.
The thing is, ordering from the pet shop usually takes around 7 to 10 days to arrive and they sent me the wrong food, they sent a cockatiel food, I don't even know how they didn't realize that, their food is gonna end very very soon, that means I'll spend a few days without any food until the correct one arrives (Taking care of the problem with the pet shop), the problem is that I never had finches before and I am not sure if I could feed them the cockatiel food until the new one arrives and I really need to know if it is safe to them or not, for that I really need help from experienced people and I thought this forum was the perfect place to ask. :D

Here is the composition and levels of the cockatiel food they sent me by mistake:

Ingredients
La Plata millets, Manna millets, canary grass seed, silver millet, safflower, rosehip seed, Japan millet, hulled sesame seeds, carrots 4%, grass seed, Senegal millet, hemp, linseed, rape seed, oats, elderberries, blessed milk, niger seed, oyster shells 1.6%, Amaranth, chamomile flowers 1%, fennel 0.8%.

Additives
Vitamin A (retinyl acetate) 9000 IU, vitamin D3 (als cholecalciferol) 600 IU, vitamin E (all-rac-alpha-tocopheryl acetate) 30 mg, trace elements (iodine 0.32 mg).

Complete feed.

Analytical constituents

protein - 13.7 %
fat - 14.3 %
fibre - 8.1 %
ash - 4.9 %
calcium - 0.8 %
phosphorus - 0.5 %
moisture - 9.7 %

Could someone help me with this question?
Thank you all for the attention! :D

(I wasn't sure if this belonged here on the Diet and Nutrition category, since I am new to owning finches, I'm very sorry if this is out of place :cry: )

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Can I feed this to my finches?

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:56 pm

TheMadGirl
That should be fine, though they probably won't eat the larger seeds. I used to feed mine a budgie/small parrot seed mix and they never had any problems. Give them boiled or scrambled eggs 2-3 times a week and vegetables every day or so in addition to the seed.

TheMadGirl
Pip
Pip

Post by TheMadGirl » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Thank you very much for the help, Icearstorm, I really appreciate it.
I give them vegetables everyday as well, however it seems I am not giving them enough egg, will fix that, thank you very much once again. :D

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:21 pm

TheMadGirl

You can use a spaghetti strainer to filter out the big seeds (like safflower) and chunks they wont eat.

That would leave you with mostly the smaller seeds & bits they can eat.

TheMadGirl
Pip
Pip

Post by TheMadGirl » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:59 pm

That's a very clever idea, Babs!
Thank you so much, that will help me a lot, my finches appreciate the help. :D

Emma4
Pip
Pip

Post by Emma4 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:52 pm

you kind of have to filter out the big seeds, because finches don't always know to dig deeper into the cup, and small seeds tend to fall to the bottom.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Babs

They should be fine. It actually sounds like a nice mixture. Your Finches should be fine with the millets , the grass sees, the Canary seed, the sesame, rape, amaranth etc. The only ones I can see as being too big, are the safflower, but the rest are good.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

TheMadGirl
Pip
Pip

Post by TheMadGirl » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:09 pm

Thank you all very much once again, you've all been very helpful.
I had to use it today since their food has ended, they really seemed to enjoy this new food more than their previous one, they looked really interested in it.
As said above, the only thing they left was the safflower seeds, but they even hate the smallest ones, just left the bigger ones.

Lovezebs
You seem to be really experienced, I am wondering if you could take a look at this food I have my eyes on for a next time and see if it is any good?

I have some doubts because it is meant for canaries, however, it has a much bigger variety than the exotic birds foods I can find around here.
I have hamsters and I am very familiar with JR Farm, so, I really trust their brand, I know it's a bit expensive, but if it is good I don't mind paying more at all.
We don't have much around here, Versele-Laga, Cunipic...can't even remember more brands that have food for them around here. :?

Thank you once again.