need some advise

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Rosmarie
Pip
Pip

need some advise

Post by Rosmarie » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:43 pm

my female finch escaped today and flew off....the male is still in the cage with about 10 eggs in the nest.......will the male take care off them ??? what can i do please i need help...... :cry:

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Re: need some advise

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:22 pm

What kind of finch are we talking about?

If it is a society there is a chance, but any other species will likely just abandon them after some time.

Now the best to do is to leave him alone, avoiding stress.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: need some advise

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:48 am

Hello and welcome to the Forum...

Sorry to hear about your lost girl and your dilemma. Have you tried placing your cage outside for a bit to see if the male might not call to the female, enticing her back to her nest?

As Ricardo mentioned, with some species the male might sit on the eggs and feed the young if they hatch, but most will not.

If you have another pair in a nest on eggs, they may foster the extra eggs, but with 10 eggs, the chances are not great.

Sorry.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~