Feeding Schedule

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Dbearden
Hatchling
Hatchling

Feeding Schedule

Post by Dbearden » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:27 pm

I would like recommendations on a schedule to supplement diet with vitamins (mixed in water).
I lost several birds -- not knowing why. Was told it could be due to water not being changed often enough or bowls cleaned well. I have now been cleaning all water bowls with hot soapy water and rinsed well twice daily, morning and evening. I feed a high grade finch seed, homemade birdie bread (recipe from the forum!) along with broccoli, carrot and apple minced finely daily. I also provide charcoal, gravel and millet spray at all times.
I have been giving water mixed with Feather Glow Vitamins in the water daily for a week and then plain water alternating weekly.
Please let me know if this is incorrect. Birds all seem happy and active and healthy. I just want to keep them like this!!!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Feeding Schedule

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:01 pm

Dbearden

If you've sanitized and your birds are no longer passing away, I would assume it was bacteria related and you've tackled the problem.

However the multivitamins, you can over dose them and it builds up in their system. So I would cut back to Feather Glow 2-3 times a week so they have a day or two to flush out unneeded vitamins from their system with pure water. A whole week on heavy vitamins can mean trouble.

For bacteria I do a quick soak of all bowls nightly in pure white vinegar. Its a natural antiseptic. Then I rinse it with hot water. Bowls are literally squeaky clean. Sometimes soap residue can cling to the bowls and that can kill your birds. I clean their bottom cage grates with pure vinegar as well twice a week to prevent their feet from contaminating their bowls with bacteria.

I fill all the water bowls at night right before lights out so they have sparkling clean water in the morning. The next night (or two) I add vitamin drops.

I cant diagnose your flock. But it seems you' nipped it once you saw something wrong. Good job for that! =D>

If they keep dying something else is wrong (you've covered all your bases) and then you need to take your bird in for a vet exam and poop analysis.