Behavior

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Diana R
Pip
Pip

Behavior

Post by Diana R » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:42 pm

We've had our finch since Nov. 2016, was not in the best of conditions, cage not cleaned, in a window with sun, and was alone. Not sure if male or female, sings a lot, seems happy, healthy enough. We give him the vitamin finch food, scrape cuttle bone for calcium, he likes brocolli, and green beans and millet. 2 times, there was blood in his stool! We have no vet nearby that takes birds! The 1st time, a couple of months ago we thought he cut himself/herself open from the bamboo hut, it looked like a cut by his vent! The second time, about 2 weeks ago, it had that same look but, when I looked, it seemed like it was wet by his vent, and he was picking! He doesn't seem or act sick. The only other weird thing, that's why I put this post under behavior, is only when I take him outside, for air and sun, he fluffs his feathers, turns his head in a weird way, and kinda goes into a trance-or falls asleep! If I keep talking to him, he'll eventually act like his self! I feel like he's shocked or traumatized, so I don't want too take him out anymore! Does anyone know what this behavior is?

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: Behavior

Post by andiok » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:05 am

Diana R wrote: We've had our finch since Nov. 2016, was not in the best of conditions, cage not cleaned, in a window with sun, and was alone. Not sure if male or female, sings a lot, seems happy, healthy enough. We give him the vitamin finch food, scrape cuttle bone for calcium, he likes brocolli, and green beans and millet. 2 times, there was blood in his stool! We have no vet nearby that takes birds! The 1st time, a couple of months ago we thought he cut himself/herself open from the bamboo hut, it looked like a cut by his vent! The second time, about 2 weeks ago, it had that same look but, when I looked, it seemed like it was wet by his vent, and he was picking! He doesn't seem or act sick. The only other weird thing, that's why I put this post under behavior, is only when I take him outside, for air and sun, he fluffs his feathers, turns his head in a weird way, and kinda goes into a trance-or falls asleep! If I keep talking to him, he'll eventually act like his self! I feel like he's shocked or traumatized, so I don't want too take him out anymore! Does anyone know what this behavior is?
It's normal for an indoor bird to fluff up when put under the sun. They enjoy that so issues here, just don't take him out at 1pm when the sun is really hot. Early morning or late afternoon is best or anytime under a tree with part sun.
Now the blood in his droppings is a real issue. Usually even when they have liver or stomachs issues you don't see pure red blood in their droppings so it could be that he hurt himself somewhere. Check him on his his belly for black spots, hopefully nothing serious. Coccidiosis (internal parasites) would also get some blood in their droppings but it could be 100 other things as well. Unfortunately without a vet it's hard to tell

Diana R
Pip
Pip

Post by Diana R » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:17 am

Thanks for info! The weirdest part is when he twists his head and appears to be sleeping, like in a trance! It was humid out, but you think I could still try and bring him outdoors early or late in evening? The blood went away, he seems to heal himself!Thank GOD!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:53 am

Diana R wrote: Thanks for info! The weirdest part is when he twists his head and appears to be sleeping, like in a trance! It was humid out, but you think I could still try and bring him outdoors early or late in evening? The blood went away, he seems to heal himself!Thank GOD!
The fluffing and tilting of the head means 'OMG GAWD this feels SOOO good!!"

My gouldians do it while under the heat lamp.

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:47 pm

Diana R wrote: Thanks for info! The weirdest part is when he twists his head and appears to be sleeping, like in a trance! It was humid out, but you think I could still try and bring him outdoors early or late in evening? The blood went away, he seems to heal himself!Thank GOD!
I think you should take him out as they need the D3 and all the good stuff from the sun. And I also think you need to check him out if was blood coming from the vent or else. By any chance did you feed him any ted eggfood or red pepper or bits

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Welcome to the forum.
About your bird, does he sing, or just give little chirps now and then? Males sing, females just chirp. Can We see pics of him?
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:19 am

Diana R

What species of finch is your bird? If you can post photos, we can help with sexing him/her. I agree with the others, some outside sun time is great for finches, just make sure he can get out of the sun if it gets too hot. Dappled shade under a tree will work too. Hard to tell why he had blood in stool/around vent.

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at http://www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care. There are some bird groups in the Chicago area, check out http://midwestshows.org/ for their twice-monthly marts.

I'll move this entire thread to the New to the Hobby forum, where others might be more likely to see it and respond to you.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org