DIFFERENT TYPES OF FINCHES IN MIXED AVIARY

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

DIFFERENT TYPES OF FINCHES IN MIXED AVIARY

Post by mick1933 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:30 am

Hi Just a thought. I have been reading quite a lot of the topics on the forum and find them to be very instructional. A lot of the questions are about what different types of finches can be kept together in a mixed aviary. Would it be possible for some of the experienced breeders to list the types of finches they keep together in a mixed aviary and have it available on the Forum. Sort of a reference library for newcomers.
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: DIFFERENT TYPES OF FINCHES IN MIXED AVIARY

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:20 am

mick1933

Hi Mick,

Here are some Finch profiles from the Finch information centre to the left side of your screen... and which species can or cannot be housed together. Just click on the links below.

http://www.finchinfo.com/birds/finches/ ... /index.php

http://www.finchinfo.com/housing/compatible_species.php

http://www.finchinfo.com/diet/index.php

And some general information.

Hope this is helpful :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

Post by mick1933 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:55 am

Thanks Elana. Terrific pages didn't know they exist.
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:06 am

mick1933:
Interesting that you are bailing out of budgies as I am becoming fascinated by their genetics and thinking of adding some English budgies.

What kind do/did you keep? Did you show?
Why quitting budgies?

As an aside it can be helpful if you put your location into your profile. There are times when topics have regional specificity.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:54 am

mick1933

Very welcome :D
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:56 am

~Elana~

mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

Post by mick1933 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi Paul. There are a number of reasons I gave up budgerigars. In short they became too expensive with show birds going for as much as $A7,000 with many in the thousands at auctions. It ceased to be a social organisation and became more of a business for some members. Also the birds were inbred and didn't live more than a few years generally, didn't want to breed and in many cases couldn't fly. Also I lost my wife of 55 years to cancer and have a crippled daughter at home to look after and I guess I just lost interest and short of time. I tried breeding as you call "English" birds in an aviary but without success. I would suggest if you want to breed budgies in an aviary you go for something like clearwings. They are pretty birds and easy to breed (in Australia at least).

Regards Mick

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi Mick
Thanks for the note. I belatedly also saw your previous post.

While finches are my favorites I have also messed with Bourkes & splendids. My current interest in budgies is strongly based in the myriad color varieties and fascinating genetics. Clearwings and greywings are what attract my eye most at the moment. Subject to change. Extreme Afro hairdos and birds so large they can't fly are of no interest to me.

There is a moderately active budgie society locally that I will join. I already know two of the members. They put on 3 or so shows with auctions a year. Opening bid at the auction is $20 so there is no escalation to the Neymar transfer fee level or to those prices you cite. Now I know that these will not be grand champion birds but are very solid show types a large cut above the pet shop variety. Good enough to have a few pairs entertain me.

cheers

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:24 pm

I was in a new pet shop the other day and in a small cage they had couple java two bengalease and few other multicoloured like finches together
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Emma4
Pip
Pip

Post by Emma4 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:10 pm

Check out this really cool chart:
http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/features_chart.php

mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

Post by mick1933 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi Paul. Hope you enjoy buddgies I did for 0 years.
Regards Mick