New finch, new enthusiast, have questions!

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Sparrowbuck
Pip
Pip

New finch, new enthusiast, have questions!

Post by Sparrowbuck » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi everybody!

I agreed to take a zebra from a coworker because they were moving, and I've got a few questions.

He's on his own, previously had a mate, then apparently killed the hatchlings and her. :cry: I'm guessing it's because the cage they were in was far too small(15x20x20), and the one I got him in is even smaller. I got him a little bathtub and some birch branches, plus a mineral stone and another set of dishes with a second variety of food, plus put some Boston fern fronds in(out of what little flight path he has), just to make it more interesting in there.

I've ordered a large long Vision cage(17x22x31) that should get here in about a week. I don't want him to be alone, but I don't know if I want to introduce another female or if a male would be better. If I read right, putting them both in the new cage at once is the right thing to do, so neither thinks they have 'ownership' of the new territory?

Thanks for any input :)

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: New finch, new enthusiast, have questions!

Post by Fraza » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:53 pm

It is much better for them to have a mate actually they shouldn't be without one if you don't want them to breed don't get a female just buy another male and are you sure it's a male does it have orange cheeks and make sure every day you blow on its seeds outside to get rid of the shulls ( the shells of the seeds )change water daily and cage once every Two weeks whilst u have one
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:54 pm

Also it's quite hard to imagine that he killed his mate usually another adult stands up for there selves especially with chicks yeh sometimes the chicks get killed but highly doubt the mum also add a pic of him :D
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:02 pm

Doubt he killed the mate... the mate likely was ill, passed it to the baby and possibly both passed.

I have raised zebras for years, never had one kill a mate.

diet seed mixed with pellets.... sprouted/chitted seed, millet, finely chopped kale and carrot (little amounts), shaved broccoli a few times a week.... seed alone as a base diet is not adequate.

make sure your branches from outside are bleached, scrubbed rinsed and dry before giving them to your bird, this avoids introducing pathogens to your bird. best not to use fern from the garden... silks can be used. perches should go from front to back not side to side so they can fly back and forth.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Sparrowbuck
Pip
Pip

Post by Sparrowbuck » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:26 pm

Thanks! That's good to know, less nervous about a buddy.

Fern was from a house plant, and everything washed. I'm working at the farmer's market tomorrow, I can pick him up some leafy greens then. I wish I could do something with his perches atm, the cage is basically a square box. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow. Definitely male, little pumpkin cheekies.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:18 pm

Sparrowbuck

Hello, and welcome to the Forum
Glad to hear that you got little Pumpkin Cheeks :)

Zebra Finches, are usually happier in pairs or groups due to the fact that they are social creatures, usually living in family groups or flocks in the wild. They love to preen each other, sleep together, eat together, yell at each other, and occasionally have fights and chases around the cage.

Once your new cage arrives, you may consider getting him a companion., either male or female, depending on what you like better. Male and female may breed for you if offered a nest and the right conditions.

In the meanwhile offer him a good diet of good quality Finch seed, some veggies and greens, some hard boiled egg once a week, clean drinking water, and a daily bath of tepid water. Natural sunlight is beneficial, but make sure he also has some shade if he gets too warm.

Let us know if you have any more questions, and enjoy your new feathered kid.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sparrowbuck
Pip
Pip

Post by Sparrowbuck » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:42 pm

Thanks! I'd probably like to introduce a male, since there's no chance I want to have any babies around, at least for a long while.

As requested, here's a picture. He's probably wondering wtf the shredded kale in his bowl is. Sorry it's sideways, unsee didn't read my phone's photo orientation correctly.

https://unsee.cc/napomegu/

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:03 pm

He's a nice looking finch :D sure he will enjoy a companion when his new house arrives haha
What other colours do you like, the pure whites are my favourites :lol:
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Sparrowbuck

What a cutie.

Looks healthy, if a bit on the thin side.
Kale is a great veggie to introduce him too, once he figures out what he should do with it :D .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sparrowbuck
Pip
Pip

Post by Sparrowbuck » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:53 am

The white ones are pretty! I'm partial to the pieds, but there's no breeders near me at all.

Today I'm going to try a tiny bit of nectarine and some mustard greens. Is there anything I can do to help him plump up more efficiently, or will he eat more once he gets a buddy?

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:09 pm

He could be young just keep giving him a mixed diet and he will plump up Sparrowbuck
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Sparrowbuck
Pip
Pip

Post by Sparrowbuck » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:49 pm

It's been a couple weeks, and the new cage and the new buddy(Florida Fancy?) are all settled in! He was introduced today, and when I peeked in they were sleeping smooshed up together on the same perch. Good, right?

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Very nice that white male is one I'm looking for at the moment
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL