New Gold Breast Waxbill owner with questions

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Waxbillman
Pip
Pip

Re: New Gold Breast Waxbill owner with questions

Post by Waxbillman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:27 am

Thanks you Elana. I was actually considering doing just that after reading your advice. I'm open to any and all suggestions and I think if nothing better pops up this will be the route I take. Thank you very much!!
Pete

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: New Gold Breast Waxbill owner with questions

Post by Sally » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:09 am

Waxbillman I love Goldbreasts! They will always be somewhat flighty, almost all waxbills are. The more space you can give them, the better, as they are such active little things. I would say for now the cage you have them in is too small for a pair of waxbills. As Elana mentioned, you have to be careful about bar spacing, as these little ones are escape artists with many cages.

They should eat the mini mealworms. I feed my mealies in a glass bowl which is too slippery for them to climb out. I also mix them in with egg food. Are you feeding a commercial egg food? Some waxbills won't eat dry commercial, much better to hardboil an egg, mash it up shell and all, and then add some of the dry stuff to make it less wet.

Most wasbills relish veggies too. Greens such as kale, spinach, dandelion, and broccoli, carrots, cabbage. You just have to keep trying them. l I also chop the veggies fine and mix them into the egg food. Most finches love cucumber. Even though it is not the most nutritious of veggies, I feed it regularly just because they love it!

As far as nesting materials, many waxbills will build their own nest, using dried grasses, coco fiber, or hay, and they love to line the nest with white feathers. However, they will need some artificial plants in the cage in which to build this nest, another reason for a larger nest.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org