quick question about tempory cage?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
syks
Pip
Pip

quick question about tempory cage?

Post by syks » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi people, I'm new to this forum, I have had a quick look around and it seems a great little community on here :) and I cant wait to learn more about finches from you guys.

Right, I'm not exactly new to finches but I don't know a great deal about them, I have owned zebras and African silver bills in the past but they were old birds when I got them and I only had the pleasure of having them for roughly 3 years until they started passing away, the cage I had them in was big but not very long, I never really felt happy with them in there as I'm sure length of cage is most important with finches,am I right?

After being without finches for quite some years I want to own some again as I really miss having them,i have bought 2 cages which I will be putting them in until I get the garden done and then I will be building an aviary for my birds.

The first cage is 3ft long but not very tall or deep, I'm going to be keeping 2 finches in here for the time being, does that sound ok?

Second cage is 6ft long but again not that high or deep, I was thinking of keeping 4 finches in here which will be paired up but 2 different types if that makes sense, does this sound acceptable? I'm not sure if it would be best to let all 4 finches in this cage mingle together or divide it in half so each pair has 3ft of the cage, what do you think?

Ive decided I will be keeping a pair of goldians,a pair of African silver bills and a pair of owl finches if that helps, I have nest boxes for all 3 pairs of finches also and would like to have some babies if possible at some point.

The finches will be in these cages for a while until I have the funds and time to do the garden and aviary but it will not be there permanent home, they will defo be going into an aviary.

sorry for the long post lol and thanks in advance for any replies :)

Luke

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: quick question about tempory cage?

Post by Sheather » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:11 pm

The cages sound good. I would keep the gouldians alone and the other species together. Post pictures of your birds when you get them, and welcome to the community!
~Dylan

~~~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi welcome to finch forum :D do u not like the look of society's finches they have great dances and can go with any finches also great parents and will foster Babies that are abandoned :D

Good luck with your avairy I recently built one 5 and abit weeks ago and it's so much better I don't really know much about finches either only had them not long after 8 months only know the basics

And I really like owl finches I might get some in the future I'm hoping to get an owl male and an greenfinch male and try to put them off and then have in my aviary
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Both cages are plenty roomy enough even for a permanent home or for breeding cages.
There is little advantage to a taller cage because they tend to fly horizontally more than vertically and tend to roost at the top of any cage.

syks
Pip
Pip

Post by syks » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks for replies guys, I feel a lot better in making the choice to buy these cages now :) I have paid for them and should be receiving them by the end of this week, I don't mind society finches fraza but have my heart set on the 3 species of finches I have chose at the moment, maybe I will add societys when I have the aviary built.

At least now I wont feel bad if the aviary takes a while to be built knowing the finches will be fine and happy in the new homes I will have for them :)

Thanks for replies, I will post pics up of my finches when I get them :)

Luke

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:53 pm

syks

Hi Luke, welcome from Massachusetts :wave: I am familiar with owl finches and Gouldians , but not African Silverbills, so I looked them up online and they are very nice looking birds :) . You have chosen a nice variety .

A garden and an aviary, it sounds like a lot of work but I am sure it will be worth all the time you put into it !!! What a nice place that will be to sit and enjoy your birds.

Looking forward to seeing your birds and hearing more about your garden and aviary !! :)
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

syks
Pip
Pip

Post by syks » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:30 am

thanks for the welcome lem2bert...my mate should be brining my cages round this morning and I cant wait :) then I will be searching for my first pair of finches, think I'm going to get the gouldians first :mrgreen:

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:31 am

syks good luck and all the three species are nice
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

syks
Pip
Pip

Post by syks » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:33 am

Fraza wrote: syks good luck and all the three species are nice
Thanks fraza, I cant wait to get them, ive been too long without birds now

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:06 am

syks

Mine very first got bought for my Mum then she ended up not liking them so I took them and now I’m addicted haha
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

syks
Pip
Pip

Post by syks » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:09 am

I now have one of my cages :) its my 6ft cage,i get my other cage a bit later today as my mate ive brought them off has to clean it first, I think I may go with a pair of society/Bengalese finches now instead of the African silver bills,not sure yet but I'm starting to like them the more I see them.

The person Ive bought the cages off has some Bengalese finches in his aviary and they seem qute little things, he has said he will sell me a pair for a good price so I'm tempted :)

syks
Pip
Pip

Post by syks » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:12 am

here is a quick pic of my 6ft finch cage, not the best pic and I havnt got it all how I want it yet
Attachments
finch cage.jpg

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:30 am

That 6 footer looks big enough for a half dozen or more finches. Specially if you put in a couple of sanctuary areas such as plastic plants. They'll have lots of exercise room and enough separation to cut down on any potential squabbling although the species you favor are peaceful so that shouldn't be an issue.

syks
Pip
Pip

Post by syks » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Thanks paul,glad I made the right choice in cage :) I now have 4 finches as well :mrgreen: my mate also sold me a pair of gouldians as well as a pair of Bengalese finches, heres a couple of quick pics although they are not the best pics ive ever taken lol

Ive literally just put them in the cage, the gouldians have started chirping already but the Bengalese seem a bit shocked at it all at the moment, I guess it will take a while for them all to settle in, I'm going to add some plastic vines later to the cage to give them a bit of cover.

Oh at the moment I have a divider in the middle of the cage to separate the 2 types of finches as my mate said the gouldians will breed better if separated, would it be ok to mix these 2 types of finch in the future though if I wished to?

thanks

Luke
Attachments
bengalese .jpg
gouldians.jpg

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:59 pm

They look great and I’m happy you have a pair of society’s and I’m certain if u give them about an hour and they will be fine
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL