When is safe to move the pigeon out of the parents?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
GoldPanther
Hatchling
Hatchling

When is safe to move the pigeon out of the parents?

Post by GoldPanther » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:04 pm

Hello Forum, hope you all are doing fine, here's me with more noobie questions :D

This is pretty much continuation of this thread (http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=37841) but it's no longer about inbreeding, so I decided to start another thread.
The parents are still mouth feeding the current three pigeons and they thought about starting to put more eggs, they all used to sleep in the same nest but because they already put an egg now they are pushing the pigeons out of the nest and they are constantly being harassed. It's like, man this is exhausting.

I saw the pigeons playing with seeds like eating, but their parents are still feeding them.
Is it safe now to put the pigeons in a separate cage? If not yet, when?
I also thought about removing the nest so the parents stop fighting the kids but knowing them they will put eggs anywhere possible including in the food tray.
Any advise as to what to do will be greatly appreciate it. I hate to see the babies being picked :(

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=L2U17SFS8lg
Danny,

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: When is safe to move the pigeon out of the parents?

Post by Sheather » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:54 pm

Ok I think you're confusing "pigeon" with "fledgeling".
A pigeon is a big dove, not a baby finch. I doubt your finches are raising baby pigeons!

Remove nest completely and stop putting it back. Babies aren't quite ready yet and need to be fed. They will likely be good to remove in another week to ten days, but make sure you've seen them eat and DRINK. Drinking is the last thing babies learn, and if taken before they learn it they will die of thirst. The very last feedings by the parents are more to provide moisture than food.
~Dylan

~~~

GoldPanther
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by GoldPanther » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:50 am

You got that right, I was confused and wasn't using the correct word. Not pigeons but baby birds. I apologize, I'm an ESL on this side :D
Thank you so much for the advise. I will remove the nest today and see how it goes. I hope they don't use the food tray for nesting.

Thanks,
Danny,

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:09 am

GoldPanther I agree with what Dylan said. I just want to add to that. You must note on what day your fledglings leave the nest. Baby finches take about 20 days after leaving the nest, before they become self sufficient. Some species takes a bit longer, so it is just a rough guide. Zebras are tough little buggers and will be able to eat and drink within 3 weeks of leaving the nest.
Marius

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Sheather wrote: Ok I think you're confusing "pigeon" with "fledgeling".
A pigeon is a big dove, not a baby finch. I doubt your finches are raising baby pigeons!
:P
i was so confused when i read subject, ok finchforum treats diamand dove questions but pigeon ones :shock: :mrgreen:

GoldPanther
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by GoldPanther » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Lmao I know I'm sorry for that, I used Google translator to translate "pichón" which means baby birds, it gave me different option and pigeon was one. Squab didn't sound right lol.
I apologize for the confusion I kinda wish I could edit it.
Oh well at the end it is what it is.
Danny,

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:32 am

GoldPanther oh man do not worry, this web site iq worldwide peaple come fro diffrent hirizons where english is not the native one.

GoldPanther
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by GoldPanther » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:42 pm

^thanks!
A little update, So I removed the nest and it seems that the parents have stopped fighting the kids. that's pretty awesome. Sad thing is that the mom is dropping eggs from the top stick overnight lol.

Thanks everyone!
Danny,