Aggressive Female Zebra towards new female

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Melissa34952
Pip
Pip

Aggressive Female Zebra towards new female

Post by Melissa34952 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Had a matched pair of zebras in a small cage and they bonded nicely. added a nest which the would cuddle in a night.

Bought a larger 'flight' style cage and added the original pair and nest.

about an hour later introduced another pair of zebras one male and one female along with a second nest.

the first female became aggressive towards the second female and commandeered the second nest.

read online about introducing the nests too early and removed them

2 days have past and the second pair are grooming each other.

While the first female now lets the second one eat she still has some aggressive tendencies towards her.

Any advise? Love watching them pair up and get more social. When should I reintroduce the nests?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Aggressive Female Zebra towards new female

Post by lovezebs » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Melissa34952

Hi Melissa, and welcome to the Forum.

By nature, Zebra Finches can be aggressive to other members of the Zebra tribe (especially new members), so what you're seeing is not unusual.

When nests are introduced into a cage, they will trigger breeding behavior, which brings about territorial issues and aggression. Unless you are determined to breed armies of little Zebras, I would leave the nests out. Birds don't need nests to sleep in.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:07 am

Maybe you could make two hidden nests on each corner of cage with fake leaves hiding them all around with just a little hole into the bed that way they aren’t watching each other going into a bed and wanting it
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi the newbbie :P
Never do this again, if u love the civil war so c
Put 2 pairs 2 males and 2 bens in same cage or flight. And u make it worsen when u add the nests.
The first rule
One pair per cage or 3 pairs and above if a fligbt is usex
second rule
No nest if unbreed.

Note the dominante pair can kill the dominated at least They can stop them from accessing to food and water