Male Aggression Question

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Male Aggression Question

Post by hfinney » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:43 am

I’m new to the forum, and I’m new to finches. I adopted three precious finches (one male and 2 females) about 10 days ago. I know you are supposed to have them in even-numbered groups, but these three had already been together for over a month and were very peaceful. The store is waiting to get more finches is, so I was planning to even my numbers out soon.

In the meantime I’ve seen my male mate with one of the females many times over the last several days. However, he and the other female (that he is NOT mating with) are the ones actively building the nest. I’ve noticed tail feathers missing from my male and the female he is not mating with, and I’ve seen the male nip at her tail and pull her wings several times. I’ve seen him sing to her as if he’s asking to mate with her, but she always flies away (whereas he is successful with the other female).

Can anyone help me understand why the male is being so aggressive towards this female? Is it because she won’t mate with him? Is he just defending his territory because he has mated with the other female? What is my best course of action? Thanks for your help!

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: Male Aggression Question

Post by andiok » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:53 pm

hfinney
Hi and welcome to the forum.
what type of finches are those?

hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by hfinney » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Sorry. They are society finches.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:14 pm

hfinney

Societies, not Zebras then.

With Societies, it's a different ball game from Zebras.

Aggression in Socies, is very rare.

Again, they will breed like rabbits, and it's not unusual for them to have extended families... one male and two females, one female and two males, a communal family group, etc.

If you are determined to breed, then I would offer nesting materials, so that there is no need to pluck feathers for that purpose.

Are you sure that the non-breeding female, is not a young male?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by hfinney » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:46 pm

Elana, it has crossed my mind that the non-breeding female may actually be a male. But he/she does not sing, though he/she is always building the nest. Is it possible to have a male who does not sing? The other finch sings frequently throughout the day.

hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by hfinney » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm reading now that one male may be silent in the presence of another male, especially when that other male is courting a female. Is that possibly what's going on?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:55 pm

hfinney

It is a possibility.
Sometimes young males in the presence of an older more assertive male may feel somewhat intimidated.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by hfinney » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:57 pm

Wow. That blows my mind. Will he ever sing while that other male is in the cage?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:06 pm

hfinney

That's if he is a male, lol.
We are just speculating at this point.

Do you have another cage available by any chance? You could try placing this bird in a seperate cage for a bit and let it listen to some male Society songs on line, and see how it reacts. A female will show interest and maybe chirp like a cricket, a male 'may' respond with a song of his own (which by the way is how I sex Societies in Pet Shops).
~Elana~

hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by hfinney » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:08 pm

I don't have another cage on hand. I know I should. I'm going to have to go get one now and see if I can figure this thing out! Thanks for your help.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:09 pm

hfinney

You're welcome.

Let us know how it turns out.
~Elana~

hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by hfinney » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:23 am

Update! It's a girl. Apparently my male is done with the other female because he has mated several times with the other female this morning! What have I gotten myself into!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:19 am

hfinney

A Society Love Fest <3 <3 <3 by the looks of things, lol.
~Elana~