How do I properly Introduce my Society and Zebra finches

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

How do I properly Introduce my Society and Zebra finches

Post by ShannTmw » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:13 pm

I posted a little while ago and got some advice to get a society finch for my lame zebra finch. They didn't know whether the society is a female or a male and I have no clue.
My question would be how do I introduce them correctly? They are currently in cages next to each other but don't seem to care or notice each other.
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Re: How do I properly Introduce my Society and Zebra finches

Post by ShannTmw » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:16 pm

I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures...
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:18 pm

ShannTmw if I was you I would make sure the society hasn’t got an illness or anything to affect your zebra and if all that’s fine let it in with your zebra they are very passive bengalease finches they won’t cause any trouble /fights

And if it singable it’s a big and if it hasn’t then it’s a girl
To add picture you have to crop the picture small and click a post reply then choose file then camera roll

Good luck :D
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:01 pm

It isn't giving me an option for posting a picture... I did in my last topic but I don't know how I did, the option I choose last time isn't there...
How are some ways I can figure out if this is a male or female? It's white and fawn, sounds like a little laser gun when it sings. Makes lots of noise. The store I got it from said it didn't make a lot of noise, but it does. She also said that they have only been there for two weeks.
How long should I keep them separate to see about illness? I know I have tons of questions...
Shann

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:41 pm

ShannTmw

That feature has been taken out at this time. We are not able to post pictures .
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:46 pm

ShannTmw
It sounds like it's a male, as males are usually the only ones that sing.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:02 pm

ShannTmw I’m saying no it’s a male and if it’s droppping s is white I would just add it in and if it’s active that’s what I’ve always done and it’s been fone
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Okay thanks for the clarification. LOL. I thought I was just being dense. The droppings are just white, very active and social. But I really don't want babies... After about 20 minutes of being added to the cage it started to sing. Lots of different beeps and kind of sounds like a old school kids laser gun in a way. So lots of singing.
Shann

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:20 am

ShannTmw is ur zebra finch a female of male and I’m glad it’s going well can’t wait to see picture of him society’s are my favourite dunno why just think they’re very interactive
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:42 am

My zebra is female for sure. I have another topic with her picture there. The society has been singing non-stop since I woke up and turned on the lights. So very cute and I love the sound they make haha. I'd like to post a picture but can't for now.
Shann

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:26 am

ShannTmw oh yeh sounds great for u I’ve heard that they can actually breed and make fertile eggs but it is more unlikely good luck anyway can’t wait for photos
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:51 pm

He seems to be doing very well. He’s active and chatty. Verrrry chatty and is flying around his cage all the time. Making all sorts of noises. So I’m guessing he’s fine? Droppings are white and look normal. Nothing seems off to me. It’s been two days so far with their cages next to each other. My female zebra is interested in him now, she’s jumps over to his cage and beeps a bit.
At the pet store they told me they had been there about two weeks but she wasn’t sure how old he would be from there but says he should be a baby. How long would it take before they started mating? If she’s okay with him in there? And would it be fine to put them together now? I can’t really afford everything I need if they do start having babies. Just curious about how much time I’d have before that happens.
Shann

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:09 pm

They will not have babies unless you give them a nest basket, which they don't need just to sleep.

Even if they do mate, and she lays an occasional egg, just throw it away.

Further, fertility between these species is very minimal. Most eggs wouldn't hatch anyway, and surviving hybrids between these species often have short lifespans.

Put them together and let them interact, hopefully they buddy up.
~Dylan

~~~

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:03 pm

What would the aggressive behaviour look like? I put them in together and she seems unsure of him. Is my zebra doesn't like him I would know?
Shann

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:09 pm

ShannTmw

If one repeatedly chases the other and tries to attack it, that is aggression. Some birds also beak-fence, rip out others' feathers (not preening), peck each other, or hiss and make alarm calls at each other. A little bit of aggressive behavior is fine so long as one bird is not exhausting the other.

Stressed birds also flick their wings and tail repeatedly, so look out for that, too.