Question about aggression

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Question about aggression

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:09 am

Katy23

Oh Katy, I'm so sorry that you lost your little boy :( .

Poor little fella, he didn't deserve that.

I hope the other two are alright.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Katy23
Pip
Pip

Post by Katy23 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks Elena,

We picked up two males from the SPCA. They have a lot of birds that were surrendered in poor condition.

Here's hoping these boys do ok.

Katy

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:36 pm

Katy23 So sorry you lost George. It is never easy, but sometimes we have to think of their quality of life.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:05 am

Katy23

Glad to hear that you picked up 2 from the SPCA.

Make sure you quarantine the new guys, as you never know what they might be carrying, and what situation they come from.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Katy23
Pip
Pip

Post by Katy23 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Yes, they are in quarantine !! Would you suggest about a month?

One looks a lot like George -all white. Has a red beak but an unusual call...they said was a zebra but maybe a hybrid ? He sure sounds different. This call sounds more of a hiccup than a peep. The two new birds are Garlic and Gromit. Much loved already.

Thanks for all the positive thoughts about George. It is amazing how attached we were to him. It is nice to have two new heartbeats in the house !

Happy weekend to all you bird lovers.

Katy
Proud mother hen to 4 finches.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Katy23

Yes, I would suggest about a month at least (although some people recommend three months).

My concern with these guys in particular, is that they are in rather poor condition (from what I could see in the pictures of the Zebras available at the CH Society).

To be on the safe side, I would deworm and SCATT them while they're in quarantine.

I know you miss your George, but at least you have an opportunity to offer these two little unwanted ones a safe and loving home :D .
~Elana~

Katy23
Pip
Pip

Post by Katy23 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:30 pm

Hi,

Good point about the quarantine. Maybe I will aim for 3 months instead. They are opposite ends of the house than the other two and not cross contaminating food dishes/perches. These guys got ivermectin X 3 treatments at the SPCA because they were in bad shape. Is that enough do you think ?
They have a number of zebras with up to 25-30 % of their feathers gone. They may have been quite a bit of competition for food etc in their previous home. Very sad.

Katy

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:09 am

Katy23

If they'd been treated by the Vet at the Humane Society, then they should be ok, but I would still quarantine as you planned.

Poor birdies.
Sometimes people just allow things to really get out of hand by allowing their birds to breed endlessly. Very sad indeed.

Good luck with these two little guys :D .
~Elana~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:14 am

so very sorry.... here is an idea since nest and nesting materials can heighten that breeding behavior.... remove the nests and add stress perches as seen in the link below. Nesting material can stimulate even males to nest and become aggressive.

the stress perches allow a bird to go to it's individual space and be private...I use them for societies, owls, zebras, javas and gouldians, shaft tails. The gouldians and owls and others species retreat to them at lights off and roost in them during the day.

always supply a few extra space to choose from... they are easily attached to each other and the cage.

http://www.glamgouldians.com/product-stress-plastic.php

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Katy23
Pip
Pip

Post by Katy23 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:34 am

I will get some stress perches. When I went to the shelter to get the two males who remain in quarantine but are now thriving, I also saw two females in bad shape.

Needless to say I went back and adopted them too. They have had 30 -50% of feathers lost from plucking by aggressive birds I suspect. They had invermectin treatments. They were very timid and frightened. I don't think they had ever had fresh food. When I put lettuce in the cages for the first 2 days they were frightened of it. I separated them into solo cages as they were pecking each other. They are starting to calm down, fly and vocalize. They are even starting to sprout some feathers. They are also quarantined for now until vet sees them.

Once they re feather I may try to put them together in a large flight. Males will stay in their own large flight. No babies around here.

Thanks again for all the excellent advice.

Katy

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:57 am

Katy23

Sounds like you've caught the Zebra Finch bug, Katy dear :lol: :lol:

I'm glad you adopted the 2 little girls as well, they deserve a good home.

The best of luck with your growing feathered family :-BD .
~Elana~