Question about aggression

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Katy23
Pip
Pip

Question about aggression

Post by Katy23 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:06 pm

Question for you wise finch owners,

I have three male zebra finches in large flight cage (seven feet high x 4 feet wide). Everyone had been cohabitating well since I introduced them 2 months ago.

I have noticed that two of the males (George and Google)are showing signs of balding patches around the neck/head region. I think the third and more dominant male (Gandolf) is pecking at them. I wasn't too worried about it until tonight when I noticed that George not only had a balding patch but also a small wound on his neck. George is currently being treated with an antibiotic for sinusitis and he doesn't need any additional injury or stress while he recovers.

For now I have moved Gandolf to another adjacent cage.

I have two nests in the cage that they take great delight in filling with nesting material. Do you think Gandolf could be pecking to try and get there feathers for the nests or could there be another cause for the aggression ?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks for your help.

Katy

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Question about aggression

Post by lovezebs » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:36 am

Katy23

Nests tend to trigger breeding behavior and aggression in many species. The Zebra, being naturally territorial and aggressive, is no exception. I would remove the nests and offer a foraging box instead. I would also hang some artificial vines and plants in the flight, to offer them something else to occupy their time, and also offer some little private corners for them to be able to get away from one another.

Personally, I would remove the individual who is being aggressive for a while, untill the other two have a chance to grow their feathers back.

Also, just a suggestion, I would add 3 more birds to your little flock. Three birds, is not a good number to have, seeing as there is always one who is the odd man out. Two pairs, can work, but three pairs for whatever the reason, seems to work better.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:29 am

Katy23 going off what elena said I think it would be good to have 3 more your cage is definitely big enough :D it could even be a different species of fonch so that they don’t breed
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Katy23
Pip
Pip

Post by Katy23 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Wonderful ideas !! Thank you.

I will definitely get some more artificial greenery. Great point about the bird numbers...I'm just not sure I'm ready to expand the flock. I have a swing, ladder and mirrors. Any thing else that comes to mind that will occupy them ?

What would you suggest putting in a foraging/rummaging box ?

Thanks again.

Katy

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Katy23

A foraging box is very simple to put together.

All you need is a $ store tupperware container (about 9 or 10 inches long, and about 5 or 6 inches wide, not too tall). In it you can put little twigs, some grass stalks (make sure not from sprayed grass), some grass seed heads, some chickweed, dry leaves, broken up freeze dried mealworms, some hay, dry alfalfa, bits of spray millet, some broken egg shells from hard boiled eggs, some rocks (that they can't swallow), some small crumpled up paper balls, a bit of seed on the bottom, a bit of bird grit, etc.

You can put in a few items, then add to them or change them around to keep things interesting.
Clean it out when it gets dirty, and start all over again. Most birds absolutely love going through these things, and can play in there for hours.

Also daily baths are great for all birds, and they enjoy them tremendously.

I would still recommend getting at least one more Zebra male, so as not to have uneven numbers, but your choice.

Good luck :-BD
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Katy23
Pip
Pip

Post by Katy23 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:38 pm

Great suggestions.

I went wild at Michaels and decked out the cage. It's pretty close to resembling the Michael's floral department. :D

Will wait for a male zebra to come up at SPCA and try to bring him into the flock.

I greatly appreciate all of the awesome suggestions !!!!

Happy weekend.

Katy

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:56 pm

Katy23

Hi Katy,

The SPCA in my city (Calgary) actually has Finches for adoption. My guess would be Zebras.

Not sure though where you're situated.
~Elana~

Katy23
Pip
Pip

Post by Katy23 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi,

I'm in Calgary too. I called the SPCA...all zebras they have are female.

Katy

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:32 pm

Katy23

Oh, that's too bad (although your boys would be thrilled :lol:) . I didn't realize that they had no boys. Just a few days ago they had both boys and girls in there.
~Elana~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:26 am

Just commenting... what are the odds both of you, who could be typing from anywhere in the world... live in the same city?
~Dylan

~~~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:04 am

Sheather wrote: Just commenting... what are the odds both of you, who could be typing from anywhere in the world... live in the same city?
@Sheather I was struck by that coincidence too! Small world.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:10 am

lovezebs surely in your great flock you have an extra zebbie boy she could have, no? Didn't you rescue half a dozen a few months ago?
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:34 am

Sheather

Hi Dylan,

The kids that were rescued, have since been given to someone who would give them a great home.

I will have to look at my rascally gang, and see if I have a youngster who is not closely bonded and who might be a good fit. Great idea Dylan, thanks. We'll see what we can do :D .
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Sheather

There a few members of the forum in Calgary.
~Elana~

Katy23
Pip
Pip

Post by Katy23 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi,

Sorry I dropped off the radar. Yes it is quite a coincidence we are both Calgarians.

I called the SPCA again and you are right they do have a few males. We were planning on going and getting one tomorrow but that plan is off for now.

Unfortunately today one of my male zebras (George - my original and much loved all white mutation) began to struggle to breath. He has been on antibiotics for two weeks for sinusitis which has been a recurrent issue. Unfortunately we had decide to euthanize him as the avian vet felt the situation was beyond repair and the poor fellow was suffering immensely.

So hard to watch his struggle and have to make such a difficult decision.

Missing my little bird.

Katy