Possible eggbound zebra finch?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
KingTrashBird
Pip
Pip

Possible eggbound zebra finch?

Post by KingTrashBird » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:36 am

I'm fairly new to having finches, but I've had several other kinds of birds in the past.

A little history, I initially got two female zebra finches a few months ago. After about a month I noticed an egg appeared, and there was one new egg every day for about three days before the second finch laid an egg, so that day there were two new eggs. One finch, Marshmallow, was quite a bit bigger, and the other finch, Popper, I assumed was younger because the striped feathers on her tail were still coming in. I'm 99% sure Marshmallow was the one laying the eggs consistently, and Popper only laid maybe one or two. That went on for a couple more days. Then two or three weeks later the eggs started appearing again. Around this time I had to take a trip, and I took the birds to my mom's house for her to watch them. She was reporting back a new egg every day until three or four days in when there were two new eggs. It got up to seven in total before I got back home. But when I brought the birds back to my house, I noticed Popper acting differently. A lot less energetic, a lot quieter, and she would spend a lot of time in the nest during the day, which is unusual for them. At one point Popper was in the nest and Marshmallow was standing on the edge yelling to me. The next morning, I found Popper dead at the bottom of the cage. :cry: I'm almost certain it was because she was egg bound and I didn't realize/didn't help her the right way soon enough.

Anyway, I ended up getting a new bird because I didn't want Marshmallow to be sad, and she seemed really lonely. So now I have Cinnamon, another female. And it's been about a month since I got her, and for the past few days I've been noticing that she goes in the nest during the day a lot more often than usual. She also makes a very distinct whining sound when she goes in the nest, and it almost sounds like she's hurt. She usually loves taking baths, and will start bathing as soon as I change their water. But I haven't seen her bathing for several days. She's still eating and pooping and I see her on their swing, so that seems okay, but she's definitely acting more lethargic than usual. I'm really scared about losing her the same way I lost Popper. Cinnamon has been spending a lot of time adding material to their nest. It seems like she's getting ready to start laying, or she wants to or is trying to.

Is there a way to keep her from trying to lay eggs, so she doesn't become eggbound? I'm worried about her because like Popper she's a lot smaller than Marshmallow, and her striped tail feathers are also still coming in. Every day I wake up and immediately go check to make sure both birds are still alive, I'm so paranoid the same thing is going to happen again.

Kyle
Kyle

Two zebra finch hens, Marshmallow and Cinnamon

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Possible eggbound zebra finch?

Post by Fraza » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:12 am

Sorry about your loss everyone has a sad tie that ends up loosing a finch I’ve lost one of mine to egg bound and it’s sad but to prevent it just give egg

if you have a nest then they will lay eggs because they are happy however give hem plenty of egg mix with green veggies and they should be fine and look underneath her and see how her bum is if it’s swollen it’s probably egg bound but can still pass it through with extra egg mix as it gives them calcium, also you can just look inside the nest to see if ther is definetly eggs.
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:52 am

KingTrashBird

Hi Kyle and welcome to the Forum,

Sorry you lost Popper.

In regards to your bird girlies.

First thing I would do is remove the nest.
Nests are not necessary for birds, and will trigger breeding and egg laying behavior. I know they love their nest, and look so cute in it, but I would remove it anyway.

Secondly I would get a source of calcium in there ASAP.
Cuttle bone, oyster shell grit, and the most simple, crushed egg shells from hard boiled eggs, which contain a lot of calcium. Also offer hard boiled eggs as well, for a boost of Vit D, which is necessary for the absorption of the Calcium.

When birds form eggs, they use up all of the calcium in their tiny bodies. This needs to be replenished on a regular basis, or birds will become egg bound, or simply die.

***If you suspect egg binding, this is an emergency situation, as birds can die very quickly. If you see your bird sitting on the bottom of the cage all fluffed up, eyes half closed or closed, looking extremely miserable, this is the time to take immediate action. First of all a drop of liquid calcium to the corner of the beak, to be repeated in an hour, then read these instructions...

Click below for instruction:
http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19640

Good luck!
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

KingTrashBird
Pip
Pip

Post by KingTrashBird » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks for your replies!

I’ve removed the nest and am currently boiling an egg for them. I have a large cuttlebone in their cage already and I’ve been putting dried “bird greens” in their food, they seem to be eating that. And I added a drop of a vitamin supplement to their water.

I put a dish of shallow water in their cage and Cinnamon immediately started bathing in it which made me really happy to see. This morning I heard her hissing at Marshmallow a few times which she hasn’t done since the first night I got her. They seem fine now that I’ve removed the nest, is that just Cinnamon being territorial? They usually get along very well, cuddling and preening each other, etc.
Kyle

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:45 pm

KingTrashBird

They need fresh greens on a regular basis, and extra calcium is of the outmost importance, along with vit D which they can get through eggs, unfiltered natural sun light, and or special lighting.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

KingTrashBird
Pip
Pip

Post by KingTrashBird » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:56 pm

I mashed up half a boiled egg and gave it to them with the whole shell, and I added some torn up spinach to the bowl as well. I usually save and boil my eggshells also to give to them. They’re eating the egg now, everyone seems happy.

I’m gonna go look for those calcium drops to keep on hand, just in case.
Last edited by KingTrashBird on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:02 pm

KingTrashBird

Sounds good.
~Elana~

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:23 pm

You can also find some really good calcium powder that dissolves in water at most pet stores, with micronutrients added in to help them absorb it fast.

Mine is called micro-bal, but just look for water soluble calcium with d vitamins included. It helped me save two eggbound hens from certain death, now!
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:42 pm

MisterGribs can you not just crumble abit of cuttle one into it
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:14 pm

Fraza you definitely can, it would be really good. The liquid stuff is good for emergencies in the future. It's good to have around
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Ohright yeh I might get some in the further stick abit in every now and again
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 pm

KingTrashBird

How is your girl doing?
~Elana~

KingTrashBird
Pip
Pip

Post by KingTrashBird » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:09 pm

She’s doing a lot better now. Removing the nest worked really well, they’re both back to acting normal :)
Kyle

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:52 am

KingTrashBird

That is really good news.

When you do get an eggbound bird, it is a very scarey situation that I hope you never have to deal with any time in the future.
~Elana~

KingTrashBird
Pip
Pip

Post by KingTrashBird » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks, I hope so too.

Marshmallow initially laid all her eggs in the food dish. If she started doing that again, would it trigger Cinnamon to start laying as well?
Kyle