Possible eggbound zebra finch?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Possible eggbound zebra finch?

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:00 am

KingTrashBird

Hi Kyle,

It is a distinct possibility, that one female laying eggs may well trigger the other one to do so as well.

I would make certain, that there are several Calcium options available, to stay on the safe side.

Let us know how things are going.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:38 pm

KingTrashBird I always recommend that members keep some form of liquid calcium on hand just for emergencies. Even if there are no males present, hens can still lay eggs and become depleted on calcium. Liquid calcium is absorbed into their system quickly and can save a life.

Welcome to the forum! I first got into finches when I lived in Honolulu in the 1970's. At that time, there were several pet shops that had a good variety of finches at prices that weren't too bad. Are finches still readily available in Hawaii?
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

KingTrashBird
Pip
Pip

Post by KingTrashBird » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:42 pm

I'm gonna do a pet store run today, I plan to pick up some liquid calcium!

I wouldn't say there's a very good selection of finches here anymore, unfortunately. There are only two pet stores I know of that even sell finches. (Most of the big commercial pet stores only have hookbills.) One is in Kaneohe in Windward Mall, and I've only seen zebras there. The other one is Kalihi Pet Center and they have a pretty good selection of birds. I don't really know what good prices are though, lol. The zebras are $17-25. At Kalihi Pet I've seen lady gouldians, cordon bleus, lavender waxbills and some others that I can't remember.
I've actually been curious about societies, but I haven't seen any so far.
Kyle

Two zebra finch hens, Marshmallow and Cinnamon

KingTrashBird
Pip
Pip

Post by KingTrashBird » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:35 pm

Hello again.

Today I noticed the birds standing in the corner of their cage both looking down into their cage lining, and when I went to see what they were looking at I found an egg. I'm not sure how long it's been there.

I took it away, since it was in a part of the cage they can't get to, and since there's no nest there was nowhere to put it anyway. But I'm wondering what to do now. I have a large cuttlebone and crushed eggshells in their cage, but I didn't have any luck finding liquid calcium. I think someone said a human version is sometimes sold at pharmacies.

Anyway I've read that it can be bad to take the eggs away, but I've also read to take the eggs away and boil them and then give them back all at once so they think they have a clutch and stop laying more eggs. I actually have a bunch of eggs (I saved all the ones that didn't break the first two times around) that I could hard boil and give to the birds in the nest to sit on. If they lay more eggs, should I leave them? Should I just give them a nest full of dummy eggs?

I'm mainly asking because they keep going back to that corner of the cage to look for their egg and I feel kind of bad. They're gonna start to resent me. First I take away their nest, then their egg which they carelessly dropped through the bottom of the cage. Dad is being mean. Lol.
Kyle

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:54 pm

KingTrashBird Ahh hey, I use Nutrobal (formula for birds, there's a few different one so make sure it's the bird version) which is a powder, but it's so fine that you can dissolve it into water and it doesn't settle for 24 hours. It's fairly cheap, so you could order it online and get a rush delivery. In addition to the calcium, it has a micronutrient mixture of other minerals that will help the bird absorb the calcium rapidly! I keep it stocked in my house, and so far I have saved one eggbound bird with it.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

KingTrashBird
Pip
Pip

Post by KingTrashBird » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:52 am

Thanks for the suggestion!! I’ve been looking all over this island and nobody seems to carry liquid calcium. I ended up ordering some off amazon but it might not get here till after Christmas. I’ll probably look into getting some powdered form as well.

My birds aren’t egg bound, but they are really committed to laying eggs. I’ve got eleven right now :shock:
Kyle

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:27 pm

KingTrashBird

For breeding pairs...
1. But if you cant find liquid calcium with VitD, Throw some boiled eggs, shells and everything into a blender. Shave a layer of cuttle bone powder on top. They will eat the meat (high in vitamin D they need to absorb the calcium) while they eat the shells/cuttloebone powder mixed in (high in calcium of course).

For non-breeding pairs...
2. Or you can crush up eggshells into chips (most finches find them irresistible) and add vitamin drops to their water (that has VitD and is found in most pet stores) at the same time 3X a week.

I'm on a liquid calcium/vitD supplement shortage here as well (expensive time of year). So I have been using both methods. My juvies are molting, and my breeding pairs are healthy.

Hope this helps.