Update: Kiwi my lame wing zebra girl is doing good so far!

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Update: Kiwi my lame wing zebra girl is doing good so far!

Post by ShannTmw » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:34 am

I posted a bit ago about my baby kiwi. She went to the vet and he said she wouldn’t survive long without immediate testing and treatment. Whether it was a fracture in her wing or a tumour. After she finished the meds she was on she seemed to be doing good. The wing is still ha going but she flaps both wings while holding the perch. She is active and eating, bathing, beeping. The vet told me not to even attempt putting another bird in with her. I ended up getting a society finch about a week after getting Kiwi as her companion, she rejected him fairly quickly and I had to separate them.
So I wanted to get a friend for my society Java. I decided to try another zebra male I found at work with beautiful colouring. I’d been watching him for over a month and he is very healthy and seemed to be the less aggressive one of the three we had at Work.
When I got him home he saw my zebra female thru the cage and wanted to go to her so bad. Kiwi didn’t seem to care at all. When I shut the lights off for the night the new boy, my friend named Ambrose, started to panic. He was beeping and flying at the bars desperately trying to get to Kiwi. It broke my heart. It went on for snout ten minutes and he started tiring himself out. So I just said screw it and put him in with Kiwi. She pecked him a bit but soon went to sleep.
The next morning she was fine. A bit stressed maybe but active as normal. As the day went by I noticed her attitude change a bit. Her wing wasn’t hanging nearly as much, she was beeping louder and hoping more and trying to fly more. She even started to preen him. Hesabout 3 months old and she’s around 6. I was shocked at how easy she accepted him, and he looooooves her.
So Kiwi is doing great, I still have to watch her wing but she doesn’t seem to notice it much right now.
After I realized my society was miserable, being quiet and seemed depressed. As a Xmas gift my parents got me another society. I just got her yesterday. I think she’s a female because of Java’s reaction. When he saw her thru the bars in the other cage he freaked. Started puffing up and singing like crazy.
When I got this society she was in the cage with one other female zebra and 6 zebra males. She has no tail feathers at all and her bum seems to be pecked raw. I’m not sure if she’s got an egg coming or not but she seems to have a swollen vent. She’s active and chirping. She sometimes sings a bit like java so I’m not fully sure if it’s a female or male. But his reaction to her was crazy. He was puffed and hoping around, seemed like he wanted her. Could he be confused about if she’s male or female or will he know for sure? Lol. I’m letting her heal in a separate cage and to watch for illness but she seems very active and eats and chirps. I’d be happy if she was a boy or girl.
Sorry this is such a long post!
Attachments
If a bit blurry but this is Kiwi preening Ambrose. Sooo cute. She’s happy!
If a bit blurry but this is Kiwi preening Ambrose. Sooo cute. She’s happy!
This is the picture of the society’s vent. It’s a bit wet because she/he landed in the water.
This is the picture of the society’s vent. It’s a bit wet because she/he landed in the water.
844FC30A-C793-48D8-B941-7AE96A472E68.jpeg (52.24 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
This is ‘King Ambrose’ haha
This is ‘King Ambrose’ haha
This is the new society. Boy or girl her name is Nike (after the Greek spirit of victory not the shoe)
This is the new society. Boy or girl her name is Nike (after the Greek spirit of victory not the shoe)
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Update: Kiwi my lame wing zebra girl is doing good so fa

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:19 pm

ShannTmw

So glad to hear your zebra girl is going strong and has a friend she loves!

Sounds like your society you got from a cage full of zebras was plucked. Poor thing. Equally glad she's out of that situation,

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Does the society sing if not then it’s a girl
Also if it has a pre sound in its tweet then it’s a girl

I’m guessing it’s a girl from the picture as she has quite a small jead
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:14 pm

And you have a noce bunch there
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:17 pm

Java sings like crazy. Constantly all day long. Nike sings a bit but not constant. She doesn’t puff up like java does, he looks like a little pear when he sings. When she sings she doesn’t puff up at all and I’ve counted maybe 8 little songs like 5-10 seconds long. Not nearly as much but sometimes sounds like java. Not sure how else to explain it lol. There is the ticking sound all the time and sometimes high pitched chirping. I’ll watch and keep an eye. They should be fine together eventually no matter the sex right? They seem very curious about each other. Their cages are a couple inches apart and they constantly jump on the bars to look at each other.
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:23 pm

It does sound like only part of a song when she sings. Not that her sex really matters. I just want to make sure she’s healthy.
Shann

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:38 pm

ShannTmw Ohright it’s a boy then if it sings then the society is a boy if anything it is better because then you will never have problems with egg bound
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:58 am

Okay. Sounds good. I guess I’ll know for sure once I have them in together. I know this is a stupid question but is it possible they recognize each other? They came in the shipment together and my friend wanted to know if they would know that. I didn’t think so but I guess I have no clue. They seem very curious about each other. Nike is in a fairly small cage and is doing soooo good. Everything looks healthy. How long should I wait before putting them together? I just don’t want to stress Nike out for the tiny cage. Also how long does it take for their tail feathers to come back in.
Attachments
9F59D1DB-7B59-41C9-BDB8-801D2A7BF444.jpeg
Shann

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:01 am

They could recognise each other one time I had two society’s for a few months, two boys and I got rid of one and gave it to my nana and got a female for my other male who I still have and when he comes back to me whilst my nana goes on holiday they always do a little dance to each other but her other finch doesn’t even interact
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:59 pm

I think Nike is a boy now for sure, he’s been singing all day today. So maybe Java’s reaction was him recognizing Nike, they came in the shipment to the store together and almost two months apart. So far his droppings are white, he’s eating a lot and very active and seems happy but irritated with the size of his temporary cage. He hangs on the bars looking at Java lol. His tail feathers are even starting to grow in. Not sure how much longer to wait to put them together
Shann

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:11 am

ShannTmw hi I normally wait about 2 weeks sometimes if I go t the specific place for some of my birds I just stick them in straight away
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:49 am

ShannTmw

Glad to hear that Kiwi and Ambrose are getting along so well, and that Kiwi's wing doesn't seem to be bothering her as much. That is really good news.

Ambrose, by the way is a very handsome boy.

As in regards to the Societies...

If your new bird is singing, then it is a boy. Females do not sing, only making little cricket noises.

Male Societies will sing at each other, even mount each other when they first meet, so don't be surprised if you see this behavior, it's very normal. Offer your new boy Nike hard boiled eggs and greens, to help him grow his feathers in more quickly.

Daily baths will be greatly appreciated by all of your birds.

Thanks for sharing pictures of the kids :D .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~