Travelling With Finches

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
kmtabird
Pip
Pip

Travelling With Finches

Post by kmtabird » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:25 am

Hello everyone. I'm new to this page so bare with me. I have two zebra finches, and they're about young adult age as far as I know. (They've already started laying eggs, I got them in August.) I have a question about travelling with finches. I'm travelling to a new province ( I live in Canada.) to make the trip in one day would be 10 hours. However, that's a long drive. So I will probably be driving 5-6 hours for the first day, and then 4-5 hours the next day. I'm just wondering how Finches handle travelling? I've read a couple posts on here already, but most of them are only travelling across town or trips that only take about 2 hours. I will be travelling in a mini-van, which has a storage unit in the trunk that fits my birds cage perfectly (I transferred them from one house to another within the same city). I also read that birds can get easily stressed. If anyone has any tips on travelling with them, if it's safe to travel 6 hours (max) at a time, with rest stops along the way of course. We will be driving during march, through the mountains where it's cold. I will be bringing plenty of blankets and towels to keep them covered/warm. Any tips for separating the cage space so they don't fly around too much? I'm moving for 6 months and then travelling back to where I currently live. Any advice or tips are welcome. Because I'm moving for 6 months I don't want to leave my babies with someone (my mother would take care of them) while I'm gone. I love them very much and want to bring them with me, but if it's a health risk I will have to keep them with my mother. Thank you.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Travelling With Finches

Post by Sally » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:24 am

For two years in a row, I have traveled with a friend to the National Bird Show in the Chicago area from the Fort Worth area. We were in a Ford Flex. The first day, we drove about 11 hours to St. Louis, and then about 4.5 hours the next day. Returning, we drove about 10 hours to Joplin, MO, and then 5.5 the next day.

We traveled with the birds in small cages about 16x16x12, with the show cages empty in separate boxes. So the birds were in travel cages for 2 days, then 3 days in show cages, then back into travel cages for 2 days. The birds had plenty of water and seed, and we had blankets/sheets to cover the cages if necessary (during transfer from car to room at overnight stops). At our stops, we stayed at La Quinta Inns, because they allow pets. We took the birds inside for the night and covered them with sheets so they could sleep. Our cages fit inside large plastic bins, which contains a lot of the seed mess. If you don't have your cage confined like this, you will need to bring an extra sheet to put on the floor of the hotel room, then set the cage on that sheet. Again, that contains most of the seed mess.

Our birds seemed to do just fine with this arrangement. If the weather is cold, you will probably want to go through drive-thrus for meals, as the vehicle will cool off too much while you are eating inside. Or, you can leave the motor running and heat on if you have two sets of keys.

I would suggest bringing some spray millet for treats, and even some veggies or birdie bread, plus I would use bottled water, since water quality can change from one area to another. I also like to use an electrolyte supplement such as NV powder (Dr. Rob Marshall) in the water to help boost their immune system while traveling.

Your birds should do just fine with those shorter days. If possible during the day, keep them uncovered, as they won't eat if it is too dark. We had Societies and waxbills with us, and we heard lots of chirping and singing as we went down the road!

Welcome to the forum!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:06 am

In the fact of getting stressed just add a blanket over the top of the cage so that it’s dark they will probably just go sleep also you can buy traveling cages and they are only cheap and they attach to a seat and keep it still
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:09 am

kmtabird

Hello another fellow Canadian, and welcome to the Forum.

Your birdies will be just fine with travelling, as long as they have enough food and water (and heat during cold weather).

I have just recently had a baby bird delivered to me, after a 12+ hour road trip in an suv with 2 young kids in the back seat :D . She did really well, arriving in excellent condition and good spirits.

Most birds, don't really care too much about travelling, as long as their cages are not jostled or knocked about too much.

As Sally mentioned, spray millet is greatly appreciated while travelling. Water in a tube drinker can be placed in the cage (with a few layers of paper towels folded underneath (to catch any spills) and periodically refreshed. You can also slice a section of cucumber length wise and place it in the cage, to help keep them hydrated.

Zebra Finches, are tough little birds, and should be fine.

Goid luck and let us know how the move went.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Do NOT put your birds in the trunk. They should be in the passenger area where they will be safe from fumes, have fresh air, light and climate control.