Zebra male getting aggressive to hen around eggs?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Zebra male getting aggressive to hen around eggs?

Post by Fraza » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:38 pm

ShannTmw sorta right ther is a more chance of egg bound as she will get stressed with no where to lay but just put the nest in but take the other eggs out
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:42 pm

She had another egg this afternoon while I was working and the nest wasn’t in there.
I did a full clean of their cage and moved everything. They didn’t sleep together last night either, is that normal? I feel bad for them. I know it’s my fault in the first place and I hope they get better. Def not going to make that mistake again.
I work at a pet store and we sell zebra finches, I adopted my zebra hen from there because no one wanted her. I’m frustrated as hell with our ‘protocol’ when it comes to the finches. We have to provide a nest for their security. So we have a 3 month old pair in there that are breeding I wanted to take the nest out and I wasn’t allowed. One of my managers told me the reason is this “if she has an egg in her she won’t lay it because she doesn’t have a nest to lay it in and it’ll stay inside her and she’ll die” She didn’t say it exactly like that but that was the jist of it...
is any of that true? My kiwi didn’t have a nest in there this morning and still laid the egg just fine...
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:24 pm

ShannTmw there’s just a higher risk if you notice your finches breeding then stick a nest in this is what I used to do before I got my aciary but if not then leave them with none and now that you’ve noticed an ahh she’s due to lay another 3-5 more so give her some egg and lettuce daily and some shell for calcium :D

Everything will be fine you can tell when they are struggling as they loose energy and look tired
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:13 am

ShannTmw

Yes, it is warmer and more comfortable for a hen to lay in a nest. When she is relaxed she can lay easier than if she has to push it from a perch while standing up.
Where YOU come into this equation is to make sure she has enough vitamin D (to absorb calcium and its in the egg meat) and calcium itself either with crushed egg shells or powdered cuttlebone on top of the boiled egg.

Wait until she has stopped laying, then take out the nest and toss the eggs. Then you need to stop feeding them boiled egg (it triggers their breeding hormones) right away after she has stopped laying her clutch.

You hen is injured and you will need to be vigilant. And if you for arent ready her to breed, remove the male.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:59 am

ShannTmw

PS. Your pet shop should be separating the males and females to avoid this problem entirely. ;)

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:01 pm

ShannTmw wrote: She had another egg this afternoon while I was working and the nest wasn’t in there.
I did a full clean of their cage and moved everything. They didn’t sleep together last night either, is that normal? I feel bad for them. I know it’s my fault in the first place and I hope they get better. Def not going to make that mistake again.
I work at a pet store and we sell zebra finches, I adopted my zebra hen from there because no one wanted her. I’m frustrated as hell with our ‘protocol’ when it comes to the finches. We have to provide a nest for their security. So we have a 3 month old pair in there that are breeding I wanted to take the nest out and I wasn’t allowed. One of my managers told me the reason is this “if she has an egg in her she won’t lay it because she doesn’t have a nest to lay it in and it’ll stay inside her and she’ll die” She didn’t say it exactly like that but that was the jist of it...
is any of that true? My kiwi didn’t have a nest in there this morning and still laid the egg just fine...
My zebras lay on the ground quite often and also in the food containers too. I only supply a nest If they don't already have babies they're feeding and only once they've had a break.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:03 pm

Flight Feathers some zebras like one of mine need a nest tho otherwise she holds it in and ends up egg bound

Your lucky ur zebras are clever enough to not hold an egg in ther butt hahaha :lol:
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:49 am

I’ve been watching her very closely over the past little bit. She is sooo good at eating the calcium and to get her moving I crush eggshells and cuttlebone and scatter it across the bottom of her cage. She laid 7 eggs all together and I did notice she was also biting and eating the eggs. Not sure if that’s normal or because she has no nest?
She’s doing very well tho Ambrose now hisses at her and is a bit more aggressive then he used to be. Hasn’t changed even after cleaning everything. They still clean each other and sleep on the food bowls together so they normally get along. He’ll just hiss once in a while, more often around fresh food. So territory?
Anyways everything seems fine tho they have still tried to build a nest in their food bowls. I also haven’t found them mating in almost a week.
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow